How i'm storing grapes in fridge (rhetorical)

jally

The attached pic. is self-explanatory.

It's just resting. The shelf-upper is not magnetic.

SaveComment32Like2
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lucille

That looks like a good way to store them! I freeze my extra grapes.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

How does that differ from having the bag on a shelf?

4 Likes Save    
1929Spanish-GW

I'm storing mine like this.

39 Likes Save    
chickadee2_gw

Me too, 1929spanish, but they don’t keep very long once they’re opened.

8 Likes Save    
1929Spanish-GW

^^^ It's all about keeping it fresh!

4 Likes Save    
morz8

Clever. I may try that, see how it works with my shelf configuration, one of which can be a half shelf. Or not. I'd buy small bunches frequently pre-Covid and they wouldn't make it into the refrigerator. DH would inhale them washed, from the counter. I wasn't even efficient enough to freeze when I do remember them making great little cold snacks....thank you for the reminder to buy in larger quantities.

1 Like Save     Thanked by jally
Sherry

It's the Covid-19. Even the 750ml bottles seem to evaporate.

9 Likes Save    
matthias_lang

I don't see an advantage. Please explain.

3 Likes Save    
Sherry

All jokes aside, I rinse ours and cut the big clumps into smaller. I put them on this dish and set on the table or counter during the day. Cover with plastic wrap and put in frig at night. They go out on the counter the next day.

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

......this reminds me.. I need to add grapes to my grocery list.

Both types.

2 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Sherry I 5oo clean and cut into smaller clumps. That way you can grab just a few or a bunch.

1 Like Save    
Suzieque

I don’t understand, either. What is the benefit?

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

commando?

Save    
Elizabeth

I put grapes in a small basket and wash them just before eating.

Plastic bags are where food goes to die.😊

Save    
ratherbesewing

I wash and air dry and then place in bowl lined with a paper towel and then refrigerate. A wet grape can deteriorate the bunch. Change paper towel as needed. I use my paper towel method in bagged spinach too.

iI bought a case of peaches this year from The Peach Truck in Georgia. They suggested you not store peaches all piled up/touching in a bowl which can cause bruising and rot. Maybe this theory works on grapes too?

Save    
foodonastump

I’m not clear on the advantage, either; perhaps so that they hang out of the way?

Note to the OP: I’m not an organic food “snob” by any means but grapes are consistently near the top of the lists for most residual pesticides. I’d recommend switching to organic if you care about such things. I’m always on the lookout for sales.

2 Likes Save    
whistle_b

Add me to the list of those not understanding the advantage.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

It depends on your family and fridge. My fridge is counter depth, so it is shallow. Easy to keep track of what needs using up. A large family with various likes and dis-likes,...massive crisper drawers things get lost and forgotten. Slipping that bag quickly on the side, clip holding it there, is a good reminder to use them up. A stuffed fridge may have some real estate on an upper shelf side. Good idea for certain things. I have a rotation of small avocados that this idea would work really well. They often roll to the back behind something. (I fridge them when firm/ripe to give us some more time). Imagine a large family in and out of the fridge messing up any attempt of organizing. Healthy snacks front and in-the-face is a good idea.

I purchased a small (organic) pound of grapes last month and they were forgotten in the crisper. I always freeze them if not used up quickly. I rarely have food waste so that was a bummer.

So, I get it if that is the reason. If not, I'll steal the idea anyway and hang a mesh produce bag when my next batch of avocados need the fridge chill temps.

2 Likes Save    
arkansas girl

Because it takes up less shelf space when it's hanging. I find the bag of grapes to be in my way a lot of times, not a bad idea.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by jally
Alisande

A British friend was surprised to learn that I refrigerate grapes. She never heard of that, and says she doesn't refrigerate any fruit. I hope she eats it quickly.

Save    
matthias_lang

I try not to have to refrigerate any fruit, too. To me, it all tastes so much better room temperature.

Save    
Alisande

I agree that many things taste better if they're not cold (ice cream being an exception), and if I were still buying food for a family of five I'd leave some things out too as they'd get eaten quickly. But I live alone, and refrigeration helps keep things fresh. I like cold grapes anyway. Frozen ones too.

Save    
Lucille

I eat most fruit at room temp but frozen grapes seem like a dessert to me so when buying grapes I always freeze about half of them.

Save    
liira55

I’ve been buying Pristine grapes lately. A container of them here are $6.99, they are so good. I can eat them all in one sitting. Today I’m going to try the sapphire grapes and see how they compare to the pristine ones.

1 Like Save    
Suzieque

Where is Jelly to tell us herself what many of us are wondering and have asked - - - why?

Save    
blfenton

@1929spanish - A friend introduced us to Matua wine this year and we quite like it. We have the same picture.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"A British friend was surprised to learn that I refrigerate grapes. She
never heard of that, and says she doesn't refrigerate any fruit."

Same is often true with things like butter, mayo, some kinds of cheese, etc. Britain has a cool climate and homes are typically not heated to be as warm as is the practice in the US. Also, historical British food practices leave more than a little to be desired. I've experienced both and food storage practices are not similar to Britain in the Western part of the European Continent with equally cool or cooler (in some parts) weather.

Save    
jally

Hi all. Sorry for my belated reply. Lately, i just don't find time for things much, so that's why i'm not so prompt, as well as my wishing to space out my proximity to EMFs.

Look, I simply posted it in case anyone's interested in a bit more space efficiency, just as arkansas girl said, but also, I think it puts a bit less pressure on the grapes at the bottom of the bunch, to avoid bruising and rotting. I could be wrong about the latter, though. Still, I don't think it's a capital crime that i posted this, but if the moderator wishes to delete it, that's OK with me, really.

Another observation i've arrived at, is that this bunch seems to be staying plump longer perhaps because they're more of the "cling" type of grapes. I.E. they don't as readily pull off the stems as other ones do. I never realized that before. So whereas non-cling peaches are to me preferable due to sweeter taste, in this case, cling-grapes are to me preferable, and in fact they're sweet too! :)

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Your bag is not too full now but if it were sitting flat on a shelf, there would be a broader base at the bottom (rather than a narrower base when hanging) and I think there would be less, not more, weight on the bottom layer. Do it as you like.

Save    
jally

I see, that makes sense. Do you find that "clingy" grapes shrivel less early than non-cling ones? Because as i said, these were clingy, and seem to have stayed plump longer than i've experienced before. (I ate them up by now)

Save    
Islay Corbel

Elmer, could you describe some of the practices you mentioned? I'm intrigued.

Save    
jally

BTW, to all those who prefer grapes not stored in fridge, note this site advises storing them in fridge: https://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/how-to-properly-store-fruits-and-vegetables/

And there's many more, no doubt.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Housekeeping Chaos-Free Zone: How to Keep the Fridge Organized
Find out how to store food items by temperature and type so everything stays fresh longer
Full Story
Kitchen Storage 16 Ways to Store Your Herbs and Spices
From super neat and organized to surprisingly artistic, there’s a seasoning-stashing solution for everyone
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More