SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_chakrabarty

Emerald Green Arborvitae in Clay?

Sam C
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi folks, I'm pretty new and would love some advice. I understand that the emerald green arborvitae love moist, well-drained soil.

My challenge right now is that my backyard is heavy compacted clay. So far, I have

- Dug a hole twice as deep and thrice as wide as my 5 gallon arborvitae pot,

- Added a 3 inch layer of gravel at the very bottom to allow water to seep down away from the root ball.

- Covered the gravel with a mixture of garden soil and native clay, in a 1:1 ratio

- Introduced earthworms to provide natural aeration and fertilization

- Planted the arborvitae with a backfill of the garden soil/clay mixture, leaving the top 2-3 inches of the rootball above ground level and mounding it with more of the garden soil/clay mixture.

- Covered the ground with 3 inches of mulch.

So far, the tree is doing okay but it is too early to tell. But if you think about it, it is sitting in a giant clay pot with very limited drainage. I am measuring the moisture about 8 inches under the ground level using a moisture meter, and only watering when the meter reads dry to avoid over watering. I try to shoot for the higher end of the "moist" reading in the moisture meter every time I water to avoid under watering, which seems to take around one watering per week with my garden hose. I live near Sacramento, California. We are in zone 9B.

Do you think my tree stands a chance? Will it be able to grow into a beautiful tall green arborvitae or die off due to a non-ideal environment?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH