SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrolinger

Emerald Green Arborvitaes

jrolinger
6 years ago

I had 49 EG Arbs (5-6ft) planted in April 2017 and now in September they are thinning out at the bottoms. They do show some yellowing around the bottom but not a lot. The rest of the tree is nice and green. I do have some rabbits but no deer.

The trees were planted in heavy clay soil in a hole just a little larger than the ball and not too deep. The planter left on the (untreated) burlap and said it would rot quickly. No fertilizer was added either. I live in central PA where it has been a wetter than normal summer for us this year and the clay soil around the tree has been wet but the root ball not as much. I have an irrigation system set up and have been monitoring the root balls with a moisture meter and they never seem to be too wet with the exception of the clay soil surrounding them. I also used bark mulch but not very thick under tree apron.

I did berm up about 15 of the trees and they have the same problem at the bottom as the rest that weren't.

Is this normal for a transplanted tree of this type and am I expecting too much this early? Will it fill back in?

Also, what is with the brown buds on some of the trees?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Comments (9)