Darto carbon steel pre-sale

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I just got the e-mail. I have plenty but for a 'foodie' nephew or a cast-iron vintage lover, carbon steel is a nice kitchen addition. Solid steel, one piece construction. Really nice gift for the holidays. Last year I purchased a half dozen pieces for gifts. (one nephew in NewOrleans has become a really great home chef). This a lifetime gift.

SaveComment51Like1
Comments (51)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is the link, HERE

They do something similar once a year. Last year was 50% off the entire line.

Really nice people from Argentina that produce these. Unfortunately it is tomorrow only, October 7th, starting at 10am.

Two-for-two, lol. He meant two for one.

Save    
Lars

I thought it was going to be two for $200. Nice to see that the price is lower than that!

Save    

I've had e-mail contact and his English is adorable. The quality is well above the standard prices. For the quality. Note that shipping is 15$. last year it was free shipping. I can testify high quality having purchased my first a few years ago....(why I get the e-mails)

I've been gifting my nieces/nephews life-long kitchen tools. For weddings and birthdays for years. (crap toys when younger). Never appliances that are short lived. My marriage 30-ish years ago i was gifted bizarre things. Toasters, lol. Electric appliances might be the worst gifts. My aunt gifted a set of heavy duty stainless steel bowls. I use them every day. When I pull one out and thankful..."thank you aunt Sylvia". (I breed tomatoes and named my recent success 'Aunt Sylvia'. ) 😀

Save    
Jasdip

I like the idea that they're so much lighter than cast iron. I believe they need care and have to be seasoned, much like ci.

1 Like Save    
seagrass_gw Somewhere

Nice to see you back, sleevendog. I have 2 carbon steel pans. One a flat bottomed wok I bought in the early 80's - two heat-proof thick wooden grip handles. Basically non-stick at this point (since my MIL died and stopped stripping it with Brillo pads). The second a carbon steel grill pan I bought 5 years ago or so. They both heat on my gas range from 0 to speed in 60 seconds. I love I can put the grill pan in the oven because of the metal handle and we use it to grill steaks in butter...

Save    
foodonastump

Thanks SD. A prior conversation about this brand had me haul out a runsty, unused Demeyer which is now a fixture on my stovetop; I love it for stir fry. But it’s too small. So I think I’ll pick one or two pans out and order tomorrow.

Save    
seagrass_gw Somewhere

Food - was trying to remember the name of my grill pan and it's Demeyer. It's so well seasoned my DH can't even screw it up soaking in the sink overnight...

Save    
foodonastump

But I messed up the name of mine. It’s deBuyer.

I bought it years ago inspired by conversations here, but it did not work out well on my ceramic electric cooktop; it instantly warped and became unusable. On gas grates it’s great.

2 Likes Save    

It is just the #20 that is 2 for cost of one. Centimeters, so about 8inches. Egg and omelet size. I have the 15,20,and25, and the 27 paella. The #15 is my egg only pan. (we like are eggs cooked differently)

Does not appear they will do a deal like last year. (50% off all and free shipping). It is a small company. They take pre-orders today and start the manufacturing tomorrow.

The shipping used to be insanely high a few years ago from Argentina. Over at the ChefSteps forum, members would get together and share the cost. They now have a distributer set up in Texas.

The standing prices are still really good for the quality. I just needed the discounted prices last year to push that button.

One their website, this page explains the sale, HERE

Definitely not for everyone. Perfect gift for younger scratch cooks just beginning a cookware collection and who would never purchase a disposable non-stick. (nothing against non-stick as most kitchens have at least one).

I do still like my old one but it has the three bolt heads that collect egg gunk and the handle is short and gets hot.

Save    
foodonastump

I pulled the trigger. I wish they had larger but I bought the 27 sauté. It’ll compete with my #8 Griswold; that’ll be the big test. And then I took advantage of the “2 for 2”, and couldn’t resist the tiny keychain.

Save    

The keychain is adorable😁

You will be happy with the 27. The 25 is heavy but the long handle allows for two hands to grip and give a good shake if needed. Hard to do that with cast iron...tiny handle.

I have a vintage #35 cast iron that is a beast. (might even be bigger) It took up so much real estate on the stovetop I could not use any of the other burners. Took it to the beach house.

Make sure you have Barkeeps, 😂, the linseed oil they use is a buggar to get off. (I have a scouring pad kit that attaches to one of our cordless drills.)

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I have a deBuyer carbon stainless skillet that I purchased about 5 years ago at Tuesday Morning. Love that pan. Love my cast iron, too; but it is getting to be quite heavy for me to lift.

Save    

My deBuyer was destroyed one family reunion a dozen yrs ago. BIL and DH fessed up. The great thing is stripping and starting over is not a big deal. It is better than before. I'm better at seasoning than 25 yrs ago with uTube.

FOAS, I know you are versed in seasoning, but you will find the handle does not get hot enough for stovetop only seasoning. My first day of seasoning, I switched back and forth,... one inside upside down in the oven, one on the stovetop. Aprox ten times. Long time ago. But I wanted the handle to darken as well as the pan surface. (you will see soon how crazy long the handle is...a good thing). My cast iron should be lifetime but I cracked one of my favorites last summer due to temp shock.

So nice to see how many have carbon steel and love them. 😁

Save    

@seagrass. I only needed to leave 'what's for dinner' for a while. It was feeling like Folly to me and only my issue. I'm intensely political especially now with such horrific divide in our country. Intense lock-down and those we have personally lost, meal prep was a diversion. Sharing pics was a form of therapy for a while. 'What's for Dinner' used to feel somewhat a private discussion years past. Once cross posting happened, and lock-down, I felt like we had voyeur and nosy neighbor eye-rolling. Via KT, etc.

So stressed now again with another lock-down in my zip-code starting Friday.. Covid nightmare here. We did so well for months. Our population/neighbors/administration has covid fatigue and understandable, but the virus does not, it is thriving. And I'm pissed. Spending my time now to try and make a difference reaching out to the misguided.

1 Like Save    
petalique

Thanks for the sale heads up, sleevendog.

I hear you on Re the other comments. I too am peeved and wish everyone could would just all pull together.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Thanks SD, I was wondering about the handles. The deBuyer has a coating so I haven’t had to deal with that.

Save    

petalique, we will get through this with sensible calm, sprinkled with humor.

FOAS, it is an odd pan. After a year with mine, my cast iron collection will most likely be donated or sold. Even my vintage. Not now but when we need to scale back. I can see why restaurant chefs like the Darto.

The 'at home' uTube videos are quite eye-opening and charming. Kenji's vlog videos about scaling back his kitchen overabundances of pots and pans struck home for us. We did the same thing during covid. A crate of donations/give-aways to friends...thin it out!

So thankful my Darto, that I did not need at all (!!🙄), but obsessed with cookware, found its way into my collection. Being both inches from retirement, we are thrilled to have this collection.

Yes, my deBuyer has a high heat handle coating. Darto is a very different steel. I gave up on my deBuyer. Darto is a softer steel combination/ratio. After a few-10 nervous seasonings, I just jumped in. They were not dark yet but just using them is like cooking on silk.

I have a favorite egg dish that only this #15 will do. (scouts honor)😜

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, I agree that the cross posting has changed things here. I got sucked into a couple of discussions with people from KT who were not at all nice and clearly looking for a fight, which I have neither the time nor temperament for. I quickly learned that if the post says anything besides just Cooking, I don't post on it, whether it's Kitchen Table or anything else.

I miss you on What's for Dinner, though, all those lovely fresh vegetables.

Annie

1 Like Save    

Annie I did not leave, but need a breather. What your governor has been going through is insane. It is all criminal from the top.

foas, started a personal file seasoning pans last year. Never really kept up with it. Lots of pics though. I am a believer that seasoning has many methods, Especially the various pans and steel content. The darto is a softer steel. I'm now with the understanding that a carbon steel needs a microscopic abrasion for the layers of seasoning to stick to.

After that one weekend of seasoning, I had non-stick that I never really had with my deBuyer. (if it is a deBuyer). It has a #24 on the top of the handle. Black enameled handle. But this is what happened...

....after the BIL visit. And attempting to bring it back. Light oil and not used since.

Note the seeds in my #15.

Forgot about that. We toast seeds and nuts, then fridge them in a glass jar to add to salads etc...

The oils in nuts/seeds are just as good as fats like bacon but a bit cleaner?.

This was a tuna salad for lunch last week. Oily seed low and slow....another good seasoning method.

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, I agree, it's insane. "I don't agree with your politics so I'm going to kidnap you and kill you. Oh, and while we're at it, let's blow up the State Capitol and hunt down some law enforcement officers. We'll blow up a bridge to create a diversion." (eyeroll)

I'm not really surprised, though, the Michigan Militia has been very active for a long time, remember the accomplice of the Oklahoma City Bomber was a Michigan Militia member named Terry Nichols.

Annie

Save    

It sickens me this exists. Especially the plans to aggressively take a stance at polling places to intimidate voters.

I'm hopeful that a few militia members got in over their heads, with a good conscience moral code, will turn them in. (I think that is what happened) ?

Here is my #15 new and close to clean of the travel linseed oil, and a few months later. Nervous but I know if I screw up I can start over....

1 Like Save    

Totally forgot I purchased a henckel ceramic set of non stick pans 5-6 years ago at Costco. Dislike panic purchasing. Heavy duty, white interior is such a great surface for visual cooking like white countertops. Chipping started within a few months. Should have returned but they have held up ok. Loosing the non-stick. Bummer purchase that they are basically disposable. Zwilling has these...

Ceramic and clean cooking over the cheap teflon. So disappointing that Henkel failed. And why I research so diligently. The Zwilling 8" is 40$...The Darto equivalent was 20$ a few days ago. Lifetime, not disposable.

Save    
petalique

Sleevendog,

thanks for posting more photos and info. I got busy and didn’t catch the 2 for one BOGO for 20cm. I have a carbon steel flat bottom wok that I have had for years and use often. I know what you mean by slippery as silk.

Maybe you can answer a couple of questions about the Darto. I am about 5’3” and found that theAll-Clads with that high angle on the handles is not for me. The Darto handles look a bit sleep, and long. Do you think these pans might be awkward for a not-tall cook?

I love my cast iron 10 and 12” pans, but they are increasingly heavy.

What do you mean about the DARTO being made of “softer” steel? And about a micro abraded surface? How would you achieve that, with the bartender’s friend? I have an outdoor propane wok burner that can season carbon steel and not fill the kitchen with fumes.

And, I am itching to know how your DH and BIL screwed up the deBuyer after it was seasoned? Looks like BIL felt compelled to scrub it or try oven cleaner on it.

Beautiful Michigan. It is disturbing to see such armed, out of touch threats by WS organized groups (long reaching tentacles). Our family grew up with hunting guns in the household, unloaded, but not locked up. Lots of friends and neighbors were hunters. But, holy cow, when I saw those loose canons storming into MI’s capital building with military weaponry armed for Fallujah, I was knocked over. Allowed? No problem? And egged on by ______.

I hope that changes.

SD, I love toasted seeds and nuts and our cast iron pans do the best job. Did the Darto measure up, not get too hot and given even heat for your seeds and nuts? Looks good.

Save    
annie1992

petalique, we have guns, but they are tools, not shiny toys to flash about and intimidate people with. The .22 is for shooting varmints. The .308 is a deer hunting gun. The .20 gauge is used for nothing, but it was Dad's and so I keep it. I don't have any ammunition for it anyway. Elery also has a crossbow for deer hunting and his son lent him a 9mm handgun, because he was worried that his Dad would run into that bear again while we were fixing fence or something. I couldn't convince him that the bear posed no threat, LOL, so the 9mm is locked up just to keep him happy, we don't carry it around. All firearms are kept unloaded, always, until we actually need to use one and both deer Elery took this year were killed with the bow.

When I was a kid the guns were always in a gun cabinet that Dad made, with glass front and no locks and we knew there would be he!! to pay if we touched one, other than my brother when he went hunting. Now we have a gun safe, because guns are a big target for thieves, easy to sell.

These people are crazy, though, and if someone even mentions a background check the outcry starts about "Democrats want to take our guns". Pffft. Most everyone here has guns, no matter the political affiliation and there are no plans by either side to take them away. Even I can shoot a gun if I have to, I just don't like it.

If they thought they'd intimidate the Governor, they were sorely mistaken. She's mostly angry, and says the State is ready to do whatever they need to so that voters can vote safely on November 3. Of course, our Republican legislature is howling because she didn't "tip them off". Yeah, she's going to tell the entire legislature about a top secret undercover FBI investigation. Sheesh.

Anyway, back to pans. I have one carbon steel pan which I use for burgers, and Elery complains that it has to be scrubbed and reseasoned each time. So what is a pan for, if I don't use it, LOL.

Annie

Save    
petalique

Annie, your childhood household sounds a bit like mine with regard to guns. Tools. In those days people didn’t lock their doors or guns. My brother had a 22 rifle, my father and mother had deer hunting rifles. We knew where they were, but my parents educated us generally about guns, never aim one at anyone or anything’s. Serious tools. Not toys. He used to sing that ditty, “I didn’t know the gun was loaded.” And, we also understood that there would be serious consequences if we even touched them. We didn’t. I loved the smell from the spent cardboard cartridges (red or green paperboard jacket. Gun guns terrified me (I think Dad’s lectures might have something to do with it.)

We were also taught a few other rules. Respect other people’s privacy, belongings, and differences. Life jackets if going in a boat. Let someone know where you plan to go, ask before using tools and put them back. And a big household rule: never leave an cast iron pan or grill soaking in water. Ditto with wooden cutting boards and tools. One of my sisters had a hard time with the wood & cast iron admonition. She’s a bit absent minded about things like that.

I like your gov.. I heard this very interesting person, a veteran, interviewed on Amanpour & Co, pbs. He works with other vets and keeps informed about the WS groups. His name is

Kristofer Goldsmith

@KrisGoldsmith85

Save    
annie1992

petalique, that sounds like the rules I was raised with. Add "work hard, make your own way, don't expect anyone to give you anything", and "don't complain, just get your chin up and get on with it". And none of us ever locked our doors.

Thanks for that name, I googled him. Interesting guy, with an interesting story.

Annie

Save    

Carbon steel is an iron-carbon alloy. Classified into a low, medium and high density microstructure. Variations among those three categories I suppose. ^From other chef forums and Darto fans. A light pass with steel wool forms a microscopic abrasion to give the seasoning layers something to grip onto.

Darto is cut and formed from one solid sheet steel. DeBuyer is handle and pan bolted together. I've hid it from others most of its life here. Never has actually performed as well as I've wanted. Even when well seasoned. Pic above is last year when DH began the process of starting over the seasoning process. That is when I purchased the Darto. (he is afraid to use the Darto,😂).

I gave him the deBuyer for his omelettes but rarely makes them. Uses the small ceramic when he does.

Save    

Bingo. Found a pic of the handle differences. Darto goes up a bit then out.

Sitting inside the deBuyer so it is even lower. (if that is a deBuyer)

Save    
foodonastump

Anyone else order anything? I got tracking info saying it should be here early in November. Unfortunately I also got notification of a 50¢ refund; guess I’m not getting my keychain. Which bums me out more than it should. Guess I can stop worrying about whether or not to season it. 🤓

Save    

Oh no, the key chain. 😜

Well, it feels like Christmas here. I started unpacking the two crates I had packed back late February for a road trip. Then Canada shut the border. Half a dozen homemade spice mixes, 3 Darto pans. etc. Added things as I thought of it. The Darto are un-seasoned. A box of four coffee cups we like that may need...DH has covid finger and shattered two so far here. TraderJoes shelf stable heavy cream, ....

Save    
aziline

I've been trying to decide if I want the 27 saute or paella pan.

I've been wanting to get a bigger cast iron pan but do not want a new one after cooking on my vintage and antique Wagner. This looks like alternative.

Save    

At the time I was deciding, I had the weight and lengths including the handle. No27 is about 10 and a half inches+ a bit. Not sure the handle length on the 27 but an e-mail will get a quick reply. The beach home has a 1/4 inch steel flat top where we slide pans around in heat zones. Free standing meaning no counters on either side. Long handles out and off the heat zones. Small oven so concern was a bummer thinking that they may not fit if I needed some oven time.

I bought both as so many did when that sale happened last year. A viral feeding frenzy on all the cooking forums. Not a peep this sale. I think most stocked up and gave as gifts.

A long handle on a cooktop using a favorite burner, as nice as the handle is, might impede on your prep zone.

It would not surprise me if they have another holiday sale. I was so patient for 5-6 years having vintage cast iron as well. Then I heat shock cracked one of my favorite cast iron.

Save    
foodonastump

Azeline - My mom used to have a calphalon “everyday pan” that just had two loops instead of a long handle. It’s great for storage but I hated cooking with it. I realized I grab a handle more often than I realized, whether shaking or flipping or draining or sliding off onto a plate... so while I entertained the thought of the paella pan for a half a minute I remembered that pan and went with the skillet. Just my 2¢.

Save    
aziline

Thanks sleevendog and foodonastump.

Size isn't an issue but moving it around full. I cook more often with skillets so I'll have to notice how much I depend on the longer handle. If the saute had a helper handle it'd be a no brainer for me.

Save    
twoyur

mine arrived about hour ago

Save    
foodonastump

Wow this is not what I expected. A heavy box was just delivered, beat up from a long trip with loosely placed pans within. Based on my deBuyer, I was expecting a lighter alternative to cast iron. It’s not. At nearly 4.5 pounds, the 27 is 9oz heavier than my closest (1/2” Ø smaller) Griswold 8. These as not light pans to toss around the kitchen! As SD warned, it looks like scrubbing the coating off will be a bit of a project. Then seasoning. I look forward to seeing how these perform, but for right now I’m a little intimidated! Stay tuned...

Save    

twoyur, really?. So soon? are you scared?, 😜. It is an experience to get such a gem. Then what to do with such a beauty. Igullet and chowhound have long and lengthy threads of seasoning methods and endless loves for these. Intimidating at first. A lifetime of love....eventually. My eggs are perfect and the way I like them in a week...

Save    

FOAS, lol. Love takes time...patience

1 Like Save    
aziline

Free shipping until Dec 22!

Save    

Hang tight. Possible they may have a half off and free shipping one of those black/whatever sales that get confusing during the holidays, 🙄

Cast iron lovers may love them. I have my #15 and #20 nesting on my back left favorite burner 24/7. I'm toasting seed/nuts and spices every few days and my favorite egg dish.

Save    
twoyur

i purchased 2 of the small ones during their sale as well as their equivalent of 10" pan

I will get at few more

good by to all the inexpensive and expensive non stick pans in the cupboards

Save    
aziline

I did put an order in for the 27 saute pan. But to be honest I'm not sure if I'm more excited for the pan or the key chain :)

Save    
foodonastump

You’re getting the keychain? Mine was canceled from my order and when I looked the other day it said low stock and when I clicked on it, sold out.

I’m finally in the midst of a seasoning routine. To get the shipping gunk off I had luck scouring with Brillo until it felt clean, then with BKF until it looked clean. Not as bad as I feared.

Save    
aziline

It showed one in stock when I ordered. I assumed I wouldn't get it but hoped for the best. I got the shipping notification today and shows shipped. I guess I'll know for sure within a week.

Save    

27 is huge, 😂. But I suppose you have the need.

Surprised that the seasoning chore that seemed daunting at first...has not been so bad. My favorite egg dish I thought might stick for a while, is pretty perfect right out of the gate.

My n15 and n20 are nesting on my back right burner 24/7. We do a bit of seed/whole seed spice toasting and oil infusions so that has been my seasoning routine after the initial gunk/travel removal.

Save    
foodonastump

Surprised that the seasoning chore that seemed daunting at first....

Yeah well someone said above:

Make sure you have Barkeeps, 😂, the linseed oil they use is a buggar to get off. (I have a scouring pad kit that attaches to one of our cordless drills.)

Save    
foodonastump

Darto 27 vs All Clad 12” vs Griswold #8. The flat base is around 9” on each give or take, the AL has a much wider flare, making it appear larger than the other two. But overall I’d consider them equivalent size.

Save    

Wow, your Darto looks deliciously silky. (I have multiple pads for one of my cordless drills....bathroom floor, tub, sinks, ...)...lazy house keeper? no, not at all, just smart quick cleaning.

1 Like Save    
aziline

I have antique #6&7 cast iron Wagner's'. My #8 cracked a few years ago and I've been looking to replace it ever since.

If cleaning and seasoning it is anything like old grimy cast iron pans I'll do just fine. I love making an ugly baby pretty.

Save    
foodonastump

Well I hope seasoning is similar because that’s what I’m doing! Rub on flaxseed, rub off as much as possible, into the oven, set to 550°, once at temp run for an hour, shut off and let cool in closed oven, repeat repeat repeat. Repeat.

Save    

"I love making an ugly baby pretty."

^^love that, 😂...cast iron is cast in sand. Darto is formed sheet steel. Another animal. One solid piece of steel. No connected separate handle rivets.

I was just joking about #27 being huge. 10-11 inches. I just used my griswald vintage. 11inch. Salmon croquettes and some smashed baby potatoes. Yet to find a need to replace it. Really heavy.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours My Houzz: Goodwill and Good Taste in a Grand Colonial
Welcoming the community for charity fundraisers and more, this Massachusetts home radiates graciousness
Full Story
Housekeeping How to Clean Marble Countertops and Tile
Acidic solutions can damage your marble surfaces. Here’s how to keep marble clean and looking amazing
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances Disappearing Range Hoods: A New Trend?
Concealed exhaust fans cut visual clutter in the kitchen
Full Story