SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonnie_riley

Kitchen layout help and suggestions, please.

Bonnie Riley
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

New-to-us house still has the 1982 kitchen. Is there any way to improve this layout without making any major changes. We can't change walls, so the basic outline is what we have to work with. I feel like the one, blank wall is a waste, but I don't know how I could reconfigure things without making changes that I just can't afford. We're on a Whirlpool/Frigidaire kind of budget, except for a few things. Plumbing is pretty much going to have to stay where it is - sink under the window. Moving the electrical for a different place for the stove and extending the water line for moving the refrigerator are do-able.

My wish list is pretty simple, and here's both my wishlist and some of my dilemmas -

(1) Induction range

(2) 36" counter-depth refrigerator

(3) Soapstone counters (this is my splurge)

(4) Large, drop-in, single bowl sink - yes, I like drop-in

(5) Wood cabinets as opposed to painted - thinking cherry

(6) Floor's probably going to be tile that I've already put in a bathroom - picture included - black and white tile, and it's about the only thing husband and I seem to agree on.

(7) What do I do with the weird place where the counter is sticking out over the doorway trim? - picture included. The doorway cannot be moved.

(8) The large stone fireplace wall is very visible from the kitchen, so that needs to be taken into consideration

(9) The soffits, unfortunately, have to stay - there's ductwork in both walls above the cabinets.

(10) Stove and refrigerator will be brushed stainless. The dishwasher is black, and it's going to stay - it works well, and it will eventually be replaced, but for now, $$$ counts.

(11) If there's anything that needs to be fixed or is missing on the drawing, let me know. We're obviously not pros at this!

(12) Suggestion for placement of a microwave that's not an over-the-stove microwave/fan combo.

The house is in Texas Hill Country. We don't know if we'll be here for 3 years or forever, because of a family situation, so I need to keep possible re-sale in mind, too. We live here 7 months a year, and plan to go back to our other house in the summer. We closed on the house in May of this year and we rented the house, as is, this summer to Hill Country vacationers all summer through an agent, and we'll probably continue to do that because it's helps pay the mortgage. So, there's that, too. I wish I didn't have to rent it out in the summers, but I do.

The man who's going to put in the kitchen said I need to figure out my cabinets, appliances, sink, and layout before anything else. Then order cabinets and appliances, get the tile ordered and arrange for installation to coincide with the arrival of the cabinets. He'll then gut the kitchen and let the tile pros do their job, and do all the rest. I know that appliances are hard to come by, so he'll build in the cabinetry based on the dimensions of whatever I've ordered. We'll shove the old stove and refrigerator into those places until the new ones show up, which could possibly be as far away as next January.

Thank you for every bit of advice you can give, especially with any possible better layouts, and a solution to the microwave placement, but I am open to any and all design suggestions.

Also - can I do this for $30,000?

Comments (2)