Sashimi as Art

jakkom

This guy is incredible - and self-taught, no less:

Sashimi Artist Designs Incredible Food Art From Raw Fish And Other Edible Ingredients

BoredPanda, Food category, 2019

Sashimi Food Art

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save     Thanked by jakkom
Lars

Sashimi as Art ... as opposed to food.

I have a difficult time imagining eating any of that - none of it looks appetizing to me, and I love sashimi. Some of it is interesting as art, and some of it looks like kitsch.

Save    
foodonastump

I had a similar reaction, Lars, and hesitated to comment until seeing your post. Attractive artistically, but the medium is very offputting.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Not my kind of art. Not my kind of sashimi.

But the guy must have an incredibly sharp knife.

dcarch

2 Likes Save    
John Liu

I would gobble that up in a heartbeat.

Going to sushi has been sadly very difficult during the pandemic.

Save    
foodonastump

John, I hear they’re serving it at the local French school.

1 Like Save    
Gooster

Almost all of them are beautiful and I could eat most of them, but I'd have to share. Some of them are a lot of the same fish. The ones that have evidence of too much handling and with too much skin I'd have to pass on.

Save    
Lars

We've not been cutting back on sushi and sashimi during the pandemic, as I feel very safe at the Japanese markets here. We buy most of our sashimi and sushi at Marukai, but also at Mitsuwa, Gelson's, and Bristol Farms. I have a good supply of shari rice for making sushi myself, as well as plenty of nori. I have trouble getting Japanese ingredients in Coachella Valley, and so I take them with me when I go there, except for the sashimi, which I can get at Gelson's in Rancho Mirage and Bristol Farms in Palm Desert. I've not found a reasonably priced decent Japanese restaurant in Coachella Valley like the ones we have in West L.A.

Save    
John Liu

I can get stuff to make sashimi at home, but I miss sitting at the sushi bar. Takeout sushi is missing a lot of the experience.

I am afraid that my favorite sushi place won’t survive this.

Save    
Islay Corbel

Stunningly beautiful but I had to not think too much of fish lol

Save    
Sooz

Gorgeous.... and yeah, I'd eat it. :O)

Save    
party_music50

Absolutely beautiful!

Save    
fawnridge (Ricky)

Knowing just how much manipulation was required to make these, I wouldn't want to eat them. Too much touching. Plus, put that down in front of a hungry eater and the artist quality is moot.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I don't really care for all that touching and fussing and body parts. Take away the awkward limbs and heads and animals and the plating is less touchy/fussy/creepy. I do think the betta fish is gorgeous. Then I realized a good chef would not decorate a plate that way...the greenery. Usually that greenery/flowers and such would be an edible pairing. Something refreshing and clean, not hot peppers with their seed.

Then I read the copy. Not a restaurant plating. It is a father at home teaching his son knife skills and having fun. Put the pics on his instagram feed. Probably good for practising/mastering chopsticks. All those small bits. Changes the story a bit. Cute.

Sushi chefs work quickly. Hands are warm. The betta fish works as a plating. Could be pulled off quickly without much fuss and looks rather natural on the black plate. I would eat that.

We also miss the counter seats. At one time we went at least every other Sunday.

Save     Thanked by jakkom
plllog

I agree that as art most of it is kitsch--and most of it eurocentric--but it's fun! And skillfully executed. I never considered eating it! I did wonder at what point it would start to smell. :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Patio of the Week Koi Glide Around a Tranquil Garden's Moat
This idyllic retreat combines lush plantings, statues and moving water for a serene backyard scene
Full Story