SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_freesman

Kitchen design question

Nick Freesman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is the proposed kitchen for a small 3 bedroom house I'm remodeling. As it is now, the kitchen opens to both the living room and dining room through door-sized openings.

The proposed kitchen has no room for seating but has easy access to the living room and to the basement steps.

The kitchen will be used by a family with 3 young kids.

Should I drywall over the living room open doorway to allow for an L-shaped kitchen with room for a small kitchen table - one downside being that the kitchen will be more isolated and will not have easy access to the Living room and basement? Or should I leave it as shown in the drawing? Or other ideas?

I haven't ordered cabinets yet. Also, plumbing and electrical are not an issue as I have easy access from the basement below to make any changes.

As much as I would like to, I can't remove any existing walls because of an existing chimney and other issues.

Thank you very much for your input! Nick

Everything in the pictures is being removed and replaced.

This is the doorway to the living room and basement steps that could be covered. A small table with a few seats could possibly fit where the old sink is now.

This is the open doorway to the dining room and the door to the back porch.

Unfortunately I can't remove the wall between the kitchen and DR because of the chimney. I added this last drawing to my post late, and I apologize to everyone who provided input without this critical info.

Comments (12)