SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresawu59

What should we do with this tricky master bath layout?

Teresa
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for your advice on how to configure my master bathroom! We are planning to more or less gut the bathroom, and put in new tiling, shower, freestanding tub, and double vanity.

Here's some background:

(A) shows the current master bath layout in relation to the master bedroom and staircase. There is a window to the right of the tub not shown, and the space to the right of the tub is a patio (door not drawn).

(B) shows the proposed plan for the new master bathroom.

(C) Here it is again with a more zoomed out view so you can see how it fits into the master bedroom.

(D) shows the current shower in context of the glass block windows and half moon window.

(E) shows the current bath situation.

My dilemma is that I don't think cutting the shower down to the proposed size in drawing B would look right in the context of the half moon / glass block window -- it would just end awkwardly in the middle of the windows. We are hoping not to have to do anything to the windows.

But if we keep the size of the shower, that limits our options with the tub. We're sort of stuck on what to do here. Also, the current shower is a steam shower (albeit with a super 90s' outdated panel that we need to figure out how to swap out -- I'm not sure the original steam shower unit's company exists anymore).

1. What do you recommend in terms of layout?
  2. How desirable is a steam shower, and should we do what we can to keep it?
  3. If we should keep it, any advice on finding a new panel to use with an old steam shower unit?
  4. Would a 45 degree angled tub work better? Do we just leave the tub and shower in their current positions?
  5. Or is it really in our best interest to change out windows? If we should change the windows, what window types/sizes etc. do you suggest?

Open to any and all recommendations, thank you so much for any ideas!

Comments (9)