SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Changed Subzero gasket but temp won’t go back down.

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

About a month ago the vacuum compressor warning was flashing on my 23 year old Subzero 601R, so I had my appliance repair person come check on it. The only repair I’ve ever had to do on it in 23 years is to replace the light; it’s been a very reliable fridge. I clean the mechanical area regularly, and he said that’s not it; he checked some other stuff and said that’s not it. The only answer was that the original gasket was looking warn and split in some areas, he suggested replacing it because probably the fridge wasn’t getting a good seal.

So I ordered a new gasket from a certified Subzero parts supplier, and I just replaced it today with the help of my son. We put all the food into a giant cooler with ice since we figured it would take a while and wanted to keep the food cold. We followed all the instructions, and I know that the gasket is properly wrapped around the metal frame pieces, because we could see if it was or not.

So, it’s been about 60 minutes, and the temp has only done down to 46 and it’s holding, not going down any more to our target cold temp. Do I have to just be more patient, or do you think it‘s not sealing well?

It “feels” tighter than before, like it‘s sealing well when I open it to check the temp ( but I’m only checking it about every 30 minutes), and the vacuum condenser warning message is not flashing anymore. But in the past, when I‘ve done a deep clean, turning it off and such, it seems like it reached the target cold temp faster.

Comments (12)