SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thunderdot

Living room color scheme SOS

Thunder Dot
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey all,

I'm outside my wheelhouse in trying to find a color scheme for our "country kitchen" / family room!

The room is a challenge, with many windows and doors, lots of wood etc. but I think I've arrived at a decent layout (please see attached photos). Now, time to narrow down colors!

I brought home a color-palette deck from the hardware store, but I'm so overwhelmed and I don't know how to derive a simple color scheme from it!

My constraints are:

• Wallpaper: crazy, I know, but it needs to stay for now since it is covering old plaster walls
  • Couches: believe it or not, actually do match the light-rose color in the wallpaper in natural lighting, and so I would like to keep them (spent a lot on those slipcovers!!)
  • Coffee table and console table: I would like to keep them as maple accents
  • Trim / wainscoting: husband won't let me paint!

My flexibility and color woes relate to:

• Hutch: I plan on painting; could it be the focal point? What color?!
  • Ottoman: gotta cover that awful grey; What color?!
  • Hardwood floor: we will be refinishing it; it's maple; what color?
  • Area rug: What color?
  • Sofa cushions--color?
  • Curtains--color?
  • Frames for pictures--color?

Notes

• The wallpaper isn't as yellow as it looks in the photo
  • We're putting a recliner next to the hutch, on an angle towards TV eventually (color?!)
  • *** I kind of know that I messed up on the couch slipcovers. My gut tells me they should change. Honestly, though, I spent more that a thousand on the two and so if possible I'd like to use them ***

Any help that anyone can give to tie all of this together color-wise would be sooo

appreciated!

Thanks! 🎉

TD

Comments (6)