SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresawu59

Can you critique my kitchen layout?

Teresa
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

We are remodeling a kitchen entirely and looking for advice on how to make it more functional.

We will not personally live in this unit -- we will likely rent it out for the time being and then sell it in ~1-2 years, so our goal is to greatly improve both the functionality and aesthetic while maximizing rentability and resale value. So "how do you live?" doesn't apply here since I'm designing it for others :)

See the photo for what we have drawn up so far, but it needs work.

Some background on renters: People who rent/buy in our neighborhood are most typically older couples / empty nesters. I would assume most of them cook a decent amount, entertain semi-regularly, and probably have their grown kids come to stay over the holidays.

What's to the left outside: The left side of the drawing opens up to the patio (which is also where the garage is -- so expect that people will come in through this entrance with their coats/shoes/groceries). The patio is raised relative to the interior, thus the stair/landing.

Do people need an eat-in area if the dining room is far away? The dining dilemma: The area currently marked "Family Room" feels family-room-esque in that there's a fireplace and it seems like the natural place for a TV/sofa. So I anticipate most people would use it this way instead of putting a dining table here. However, the other available room for a true formal dining area is to the right (off drawing) closer to the entrance of the house. I'm not totally sure which room most people would choose to use as living vs. dining, but if they put the dining area by the entrance, it seems like a long way to go to eat dinner. Personally, eating dinner at a banquette/cafe table feels more appropriate than at a bar, but I might be in the minority.

-- Do you think it makes sense to squeeze a dining nook here, as drawn (esp given the distance of the potential formal dining room) or is it too tight of a space? Should we just line that wall with more cabinets instead?

-- Does the mud closet / bench make sense as is, or should I free up the left wall and do a closet along the bottom wall?

-- I'm thinking I'll replace the prep sink on the far right with a large pantry. Should I move the fridge to the right wall to be right next to it?

-- Where would you place the microwave? (I'm not sure if the island is wide enough for dishwasher, sinks, AND microwave)

-- Should we enlarge the depth of the island?

-- Assuming we should also increase the space between the island and cabinet wall?

As for appliances, this is what we're thinking but open to feedback based on what you think most people are interested in buying:

-- Likely a range

-- No wall oven

-- No warming drawer

-- Counter depth refrigerator

-- True ventilation hood

-- Open to recommendations on sizing

-- Built-in pantry (not sure if we have enough room or not for a walk-in; if not, at least a step-in where the prep sink area currently is)

We are pretty flexible on most fronts about what can be moved around. Since we are ripping the whole thing out, we want to get it as "right" as possible!

Let me know if I've missed any important details, and thanks so much in advance for any advice!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths