Strange roach post

Lucille

"ppest control people are droping off tree roaches in my yard then coming the next day"

Guy claims a pest control company is trying to drum up business by dropping tree roaches in people's yards. Given that the area is hot, humid with lots of people, there seem to be plenty of those large outdoor roaches around anyway. To me the logistics of collecting and maintaining and dropping off enough bugs so that the homeowner would notice make the claim seem unlikely, but it is certainly an interesting accusation.

SaveComment22Like1
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kadefol

I seriously doubt it, they’d just be adding to existing numbers. Plus, everyone knows you can’t really get rid of outdoor roaches here in TX and most people wouldn’t bother spending money on futile attempts.

Save    
olychick

What better place for roaches than outside!

1 Like Save    
sealavender

Cockroach conspiracy? Oh, dear!

Save    
socks

I've never heard of a tree roach.

Save    
terilyn

Socks, in Florida they are called Palmetto bugs. A much nicer name! Big flying tree roaches. No matter how clean your house is you will get them!

1 Like Save    
donna_loomis

LOL! in the 1970's my brother was in the Air Force and stationed in Florida. He told us they had the biggest roaches he had ever seen and they were called Palmetto bugs. His wife and infant son were with him and he said it wasn't unusual to get up in the morning and see one or two in the bassinet with the baby. And they were always sure to place glasses and bowls upside down in the cupboards, or they would climb into them too.

As kids, my brothers and I made paper blow darts and shot them with a pipe. John made darts and armed them with straight pins. In the evenings, if he spotted a Palmetto bug strolling through the living room, he'd take aim and let a dart fly. He was a good shot, but the bugs just continued their stroll, with a dart wobbling on their back.

Save    
morz8

Oh, my word. The only time I've seen a roach was in a Hilton in Arizona. Our next stop was my Aunt and Uncles where we were spending the next several days and I found one there in the guest bath. Showed it to them. They thought I'd brought it with me (unintentionally) from the hotel and may have been right. When we got home, I unpacked suitcase in the driveway and shook out and inspected every single item outdoors before taking anything into the laundry room.

ETA: With so many having surveillance cameras these days, I'm almost wondering if baiting property to gain business would be something an actual company would do. It seems like easy enough to be caught, and small business is so dependent on reputation.

Save    
arcy_gw

Finding roaches in the bathtub when we lived in Alamogordo NM was a common event. The are large and ugly but not really a big deal.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

They love pine trees. At the previous house we had lots of huge pine trees. When we first moved in over there we had the light on in the atrium. Thank goodness it was outside! Because suddenly as soon as it was dark those giant palmetto bugs were flying around in there. We never left the light on in there again at night. The exterminator said it's just something you learn to deal with. He sprayed and it did help. Rarely one would manage to get in the house. Omg I hate them. We had them in Louisiana too, we had pine trees there too.

No pine trees at this house!

Save    
kadefol

They are very ugly but they serve a purpose and, unlike the small roaches, don't normally infest houses. Whenever one wanders in, it gets caught and put outside. Unless the cats get to it first which has a less desirable outcome for the roach. Supposedly they can grow up to 3 inches but we've never encountered one quite that large.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Haha - seems like that guy has an overactive imagination - the great cockroach conspiracy? Maybe that's something he would do himself, and that's why he imagines someone else doing it?

When it comes to inside the house, the only good roach is a dead one, IMO. And the only thing that works, IME, is to smash 'em on sight, then clean up thoroughly with alcohol. Sprays and dusts never work immediately, and then they crawl away and spew nasty brown liquid when they finally expire. I have a number of fly swatters around the house so I can grab the nearest one when those things show up. I've also been known to use a flip flop😉

UF has good info about southern roaches:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig082

Save    
Sherry

Put a small amount of undiluted Dawn in a plastic spray water bottle and fill gently with plain water. Shake gently until diluted. Spray the bug with it. It stops them from running and they are much easier to catch with paper towels. I think it interferes with their breathing. Over spray helps clean the floor and it won't hurt pets.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

With so many having surveillance cameras these days, I'm almost wondering if baiting property to gain business would be something an actual company would do.

Apart from getting caught, I think for large tree roaches, I can't imagine collecting them would be worthwhile. One would have to have hundreds for each house to make enough of a difference to be noticed out in the yard. And as soon as they are released, the roaches will hide, they aren't going to lounge out in the open where a bird would scoop them up as a morsel.

In addition, yard spraying is generally not a high dollar event.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

Guy sounds like a nutjob.

Those roaches are everywhere. They have babies in the flowerbeds. They also come out of the sewer system at night. I caught several on sticky traps in the garage.

Save    
samkarenorkaren

Send them to my apartment complex. They can visit with the roaches we have here

Save    
lindaohnowga

We have roaches here in GA too. Spraying the foundation and around baseboards with Bengal spray helps a lot. You find them dead or belly up, unable to flip over. Then they are easy to step on to kill.

Save    
sushipup1

Send the guy in the OP a fresh roll of tin foil so he can make himself a new hat.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Put bay leaves, dried, in your cabinets for roaches.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
Lucille

It is unusual here to find the giant tree roaches in cabinets . They do occasionally get inside but the bay leaves might help with the small roaches that are sometimes found actually living indoors. I think in my original post, the company was probably trying to sell a yard spray.

Here is a picture of a tree roach. No, that is not me holding a roach, I got the picture off the internet so the size of the roach would be easier to note.

Save    
kadefol

Glenda, I didn't know about bay leaves. Like Lucille, we've never seen the large roaches in cabinets either, they mostly seem to appear on the floor or on ceilings. Thankfully, their appearance is infrequent.

Save    
glenda_al

I see them in the kitchen. Put the bay leaves under the sink, around trash can. and in cabinets, just for the purpose of keeping them out of the cabinets.

2 Likes Save    
bob_cville

I was going to say the guy should adjust the chin strap on his tin foil hat, but I like sushipup's post even better.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Life The Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story
Moving Making a Home Away From Home
Feeling like a stranger in a strange land? These tips can help ease the transition after a big move
Full Story
We are an award winning a remodeling company, focusing on complete kitchen, bathroom, basement & sun room... Read More
Whether you're interested in energy efficiency or an architectural renovation our wide selection of replacement... Read More