SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessalynn916

Remodel amateur seeking feedback on kitchen design

Jessie Miller
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I currently have a dated and cramped galley kitchen and am aiming to incorporate as many design elements as my budget will allow to maximize and modernize the space.

I am planning for the following updates:

• 4 piece GE appliance suite in slate gray (matte finish)
  • Remove large soffit overhang
  • Replace uppers to extend to ceiling (or add stacks above + replace cathedral arch doors)
  • Reface or paint cabinets Greige or White (liking SW Agreeable Gray)
  • Matte black (or matte gold) modern cabinet pulls
  • Leathered finish canyon dawn countertops (aka fantasy brown)
  • Granite composite sink + stainless high arc faucet
  • White subway tile backsplash in a high gloss
  • LVT Wood flooring in Burnt Oak
  • Pops of color via floor runner & other accessories to break up all the neutral tones

Questions I have:

1. Does glossy subway tile add enough 'sparkle' factor to the design? I have chosen many matte finishes due to ease of keeping them looking clean but I don't want it to look too dull as a result.
  2. Any cost effective solutions on reworking upper cabinetry to extend to the ceiling? Thoughts on eliminating upper cabinet to left of sink to incorporate some open shelving?
  3. I'm seeing lots of oversize backsplash tiles these days, so wondering what size would make the space feel largest?
  4. Polling nicest color/finish combos: Greige or white cabinets? Matte black or matte gold hardware?
  5. Update or eliminate central light fixture? Was thinking of just doing 4 cans in the ceiling so as not to compete with the fixture over the sink.
  6. Any other feedback is welcome since I am most definitely a hobbiest and not a pro at this

Below is a 'before' image and my design mockup. Thanks so much for your time + input!

Comments (15)