They had the festival in my town this past weekend

Kathsgrdn

It made the Lexington news. In the report, the mayor says people were wearing masks. Funny that the one person you can see in their picture isn't wearing one and based on my experience living here I doubt most did.

https://www.lex18.com/news/covering-kentucky/stave-festival-goes-on-amid-pandemic

The case numbers are already slowly going up here and in smaller communities surrounding us.

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lukki Irish

It’s really aggrevating and just plain stupid. It’s not only selffish and puts others at risk, but in many cases, our tax revenue’s are also being used to pay for the care of those who ignored the warnings as well as any one they’ve infected. Money doesn’t grow on trees, it’s actually funds that we either don’t really have or that are targeted for other things and will now go without.

I don’t care how well a politician is liked, if they are stupid enough to ignore the science and willing to put the public at large at risk, they need to go.

5 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"if they are stupid enough to ignore the science and willing to put the public at large at risk, they need to go"

Starting from the top down!!

11 Likes Save    
blfenton

He says the participants wore masks so I'm wondering if he meant the vendors but can't tell from the picture.

Save    
Toby

Our best hope for control is the window between New Year's and spring. If people could only curtail their activities for those three winter months. Let's also hope for a new president in January who believes in science and who puts the welfare of the people over his own personal gain.

9 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Yes, they are having one in my county this weekend and it is about 3 miles from me. I have not gone in years and none of my family will be going to it this year. Silly if you ask me.

Sue

Save    
OklaMoni

They are having several bike-a thons in my area coming up... and I am horrified, at the amount of people on facebook that say they are going.

Just why?

At this time, I still ride solo, or just with that one friend that is as isolated as I, and we avoid all trails, because of how busy they are...

But these people are planning on going to rides, where hundreds of participants are like to show up.

SMH

Moni

Save    
eld6161

In my town, the baseball season started. Walking through the park with my dog, it looked like any year. People clustered, no masks etc.

Save    
maifleur03

I have given up the hope that people care about themselves and others. It will take until probably this time next year until the people who thought they only had a small infection or none at all develop bad enough long term health problems. People will probably not connect those problems to the virus. Doctors tend to use the terms "perhaps or could have" rather than "was from".

It is their life but it will reflect on their family's life as the medical bills pile up.

4 Likes Save    
woodrose

Lukki Irish, the governor who approved the festival is a Democrat and, no, he is not well liked. How he even got elected is a mystery.

Save    
maifleur03

I wish that people would look at that the governmental leaders are doing without looking at their party affiliations. There are a few good ones of all parties along with the vast majority that are bad. Local elections in the city I live are simply a list of names with no party affiliation. Makes it hard for those that go to vote and insist on voting for their party but it does lead to people paying attention to what a person actually does. In 2016 I was asked what party a judge belonged to which should have little bearing on the judges rulings. Now if the person had asked about the judges bench behavior or ruling that is different.

4 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Well, Moni, at least bike riders are outside where the air diffuses virus particles. Going to church or a bar or a party inside with singing and speaking loudly is much more dangerous. Especially without masks.

Save    
sprtphntc7a

OP: you have Mitch McConnell as your senator. he rules the roost (your state) and frankly the whole Senate.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Woodrose, Party is irrelivant, this virus is a completely NON political issue. It doesn’t matter what sex, religion, age or political affiliation someone is, ANYONE who can’t stand up to opposing views and do what is right for the majority does not deserve to hold that office period.

4 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

OP: you have Mitch McConnell as your senator. he rules the roost (your state) and frankly the whole Senate.

I fail to see how this statement is relevant to the topic because the virus is non POLITICAL. Let’s all just try to put our politcal defenses down for once and focus on what’s really going on here. People should be wearing masks, PERIOD. If they had, then we wouldn’t be in the situation we find ourselves in today. As stark as it may be to say it, people who don’t wear masks bear a lot of the responsibility for lives lost.

Save     Thanked by Kathsgrdn
Kathsgrdn

One of the biggest mistakes this country did was make it political. Stupid people still repeating the president saying it's a hoax. Americans truly are stupid because they really can't see beyond their own borders to the rest of the world.

I listened to a news report on my way to work last night. Taiwan had their first covid 19 case the same day we did. One of the leaders in the government, can't remember his name but he has a science background in epidemiology according to this report said that they never had a lock down, just used contact tracing and smart testing, testing only those who came back into the country and those who had contact with the known infected. I also think they restricted travel from China but never made that comment in this report. They currently have 499 cases and 7 deaths. Their country is open and it hasn't affected their economy. How pathetic is our "greatest country in the world"?

3 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Lukki Irish, the governor who approved the festival is a Democrat and,
no, he is not well liked. How he even got elected is a mystery."

Is he right handed or left handed? Does that make a difference too?

Goes to show you, woodrose, that despite the overwhelming numbers to the contrary, there are a few stupid and incompetent Democrats too. Just not nearly as many.

Save    
woodrose

I'm wasn't the one who brought up politics first, so why are people criticizing me ? The only reason I mentioned the governor is to answer Lukki Irish, to whom the post was addressed. I only mentioned his political affiliation because some of you are always blaming Republican leaders for everything.

No, Mitch McConnell does not run Kentucky, or the senate. That's just nonsense, especially coming from someone who doesn't even live here.

"I don’t care how well a politician is liked, if they are stupid enough
to ignore the science and willing to put the public at large at risk,
they need to go"

Lukki Irish, this was in your first post and you criticize me for mentioning politics ?

In case some of you have forgotten, or didn't know, Dr, Fauci said that the president has done everything he ask him to do. He has also listen to the advice of Dr. Birx and has information available to him that we know nothing about. So, who's not following the science ? It's very arrogant and foolish to criticize someone when we don't have all the facts.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

There are too many errors and misunderstndings in your post to refer to. Here's a few:

"some of you are always blaming Republican leaders for everything"

Who should the shameful inaction and denial of the federal government political leadership, starting with the conniving and lying of the president, be blamed on?

"Mitch McConnell does not run Kentucky, or the senate."

Yes, as Majority Leader he runs the Senate. He controls what is brought forward, what is sidelined, and how considered if so.

"Lukki Irish, this was in your first post and you criticize me for mentioning politics ?"

She mentioned no party. Politicians have lied, manhandled and handcuffed our normal experts in directing responses and actions. Do you have a different explanation?

"Dr, Fauci said that the president has done everything he ask him to do."

Dr Fauci has been muzzled at times and has had to walk a tightrope to keep his job and stay involved. Have you not realized that, it's obvious.

"He has also listen to the advice of Dr. Birx"

Dr Birx is a career military officer and professional government administrator with only some hand's on scientific background. She has nowhere near the credentials nor the professional respect that Fauci has and with many of the things she's said, nowhere near the professional integrity. My source for this is a family member who works in the field. What is yours?

"who's not following the science ?"

The White House and the administration. The President admitted he lied to the public about the seriousness and nature of the pandemic and he continued to do so and push inaction for months. Did you miss that too?

11 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

Woodrose, my response was generic. I didn’t say A DEMOCRATIC POLIITCIAN OR THAT REPUBLICAN MAYOR. I said, ANY POLITICIAN. Last I checked, that’s what a Mayor is...is a Policitan and it was the Mayor who made the decision to allow the event. Just like “Governors” who won’t issue mask mandates, if they can’t do what’s right for the public at large, they don’t deserve the job!

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

“Dr, Fauci said that the president has done everything he ask him to do.”

Fake news! If it’s not, then please provide the article that supports your claim.

Save    
maifleur03

Today the number topped 200,000 for the US. At the current rate even without the lowered immunity that winter brings it will be over 300,000 by the end of the year.

Today I found and lost a hospital information site showing covid statistics one of the things that struck me was that the average age of people hospitalized was in the 40s in this state, Missouri. Only in the northeast corner was the average age in the 50s with most of the people being over 75. A large portion of the hospitalized were children in March.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Re Fauci,

Over the weekend, I saw a snippet of an interview with Fauci. This question (not exact words) was put to him "The president says we are turning a corner on controlling the outbreak, you've said that until sterner measures are more seriously imposed, the problems will continue. Who should we believe, the president or you?"

His response (not exact words):

"Don't believe either of us, believe the data. It's easy to find, look at what's happening and reach your own conclusions. "

A demonstration of what he does to disagree without overtly disagreeing.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

I like Fauci’s answer. IMO, that’s bascally what voters should be doing. Instead of listening to just one side of the issues, people need to listen to both sides and then look at the facts that support the claims. Too many people are just hearing what their media outlet of choice is saying and assuming it’s the truth. There are circumstances on both sides where claims cannot be supported by facts and/or the science. In other words, watch what “they” do, not what they say.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays 15 Things to Do on a Cozy Holiday Weekend at Home
Stay warm and festive indoors and out with these activities to enjoy with family and friends or on your own
Full Story
Homes Around the World My Houzz: Colorful Weekend Apartment Getaway in Israel
Vibrant hues, custom furnishings and a smart layout come together in this 590-square-foot Tel Aviv home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Ark Woodworking builds European cabinetry for any room in the house. Kitchens, libraries, mudrooms, and bars to... Read More