I'll show you mine/you show me yours - M 9/14

Annie Deighnaugh

We'll start the week with one of the oldest things in your home, and then one of the newest. Then something you love in your house, something you dislike and finally, if you dare, show me something guests never see in your house such as inside a closet, the fridge, the basement, a drawer, etc.

So today, show me one of the oldest things in your home.

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

SaveComment41Like1
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

The beams on top of the stonework were salvaged from the original house that was here. Built in 1790, the beams are hand hewn, and we presume from the trees that originally grew here. A painting of the original house is on the right wall.

21 Likes Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

My grandmother's china cabinet dates from the 1920s and her watercolor on the wall dates from about 1913.

27 Likes Save    
maire_cate

I guess it would be the stone and marble.

23 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Haha Maire! I guess stone would win every time!

2 Likes Save    
eld6161

This bench was made by DH’s uncle.

I am going to guess it’s over 50 years old.

21 Likes Save    
arcy_gw

Stockman's desk circa 1890s.

22 Likes Save    
Okla Moni

This pitcher was my maternal grandmothers

24 Likes Save    
nicole___

My grandmothers Joshigan rug she purchased in Baghdad when stationed there.

26 Likes Save    
maddiemo

The only thing I could think of was this photograph. I have no idea who the girls are, I just bought it to put in a frame. I’m guessing it’s a shot taken in the 1920s maybe?

24 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

I'll show a picture later, but just wanted to compliment Annie D for lining up an interesting week for us -- your themes make me think of subjects and pictures in fun new ways :-)

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
OutsidePlaying

This is probably one of the oldest, a pie safe that belonged in DH’s Dad’s family. I had it refinished and the tin polished and reattached many years ago

23 Likes Save    
dedtired

Yes, thank you Annie for coming up with these clever themes for each day. I look forward to them.

This chair is over 100 years old and came from my great aunt. It is very sturdy! I had new cushions made for it when the old ones disintegrated. These are looking sad, too.

22 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you. I think that when I announce the themes ahead of time, it's easier for people and we get better participation. So I'll keep trying to do that. But don't be surprised when we do reruns on the themes. And of course I'm always open to suggestions.

2 Likes Save    
Michele

I for one don’t mind the reruns. So many times I’ve said to myself “why didn’t I think of that?” Right now I’m trying to think of the oldest thing in my place.

Save    
Alisande

Uh-oh . . . I have a chair that looks a lot like Dedtired's, except I have no cushions for it. It's so sturdy and well made (dowels!), and I wish I could keep it. But I have no room for it, and my kids don't want it. I have it offered for sale on Facebook, and I have the feeling I'm going to end up giving it away. Dedtired, your photo makes me want to keep it even more!

I have no idea how old it is, but I'm sure it's not the oldest thing in my house. I'll be back with something for the category.

20 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Oh wow I wish I could teleport that chair to my house I would gladly buy it from you! My father had a similar chair but his was a rocking chair. I had it till the flood destroyed it. Those chairs are fantastic.

Since I lost pretty much everything old and new in the flood I might have to post a picture of my husband! I think he might be the oldest thing in the house. 😂😂😂

7 Likes Save    
eld6161

Annie, I have a suggestion. This thread got me to thinking of items that have special meaning to me.

I was heading upstairs for something other than the bench. An item that was not only old but especially meaningful to me. But I saw the bench first so....

People could of course share why the object is special.. Would be fun to see unusual things,

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
tvq1

Basket made by my Grandmother when she was a young bride. According to my aunt it's made from grasses gathered along the Platte River in South Dakota. Late 1800's

23 Likes Save    
tvq1

eld6161--that is a GREAT idea!!

1 Like Save    
Lars

Mixtec ceramic from Monte Albán, Oaxaca, circa 800 A.D., or so I was told.

Zapotec serpentine jaguar mask, bought earlier in Monte Albán. The age of this one is impossible to tell. I did have it appraised at more than ten times what I paid for it. I bought it from a Zapotec boy (about 20 years old or so) who approached me while I was exploring the ruins in 1978. He told me it was ancient and that it came from a grave there, but I did not believe this, but I bought it anyway because I liked it and thought it was worth the price he was asking, even if it were new. I've seen new serpentine carvings in Mexico, but never one like this. I don't think it is that old, but I do think the ceramics are. Oaxaca is littered with thousands of ancient ceramics.

22 Likes Save    
JoanMN

This actually is the oldest thing in our house. My wonderful husband, Kenny.

He is tender-hearted and funny. He quit school at 16 to support his family (they had their first child when he was 17). So with little education, he still figured out how to start and run wig shops, sewing machine companies, etc.

When I met him, I had 2 teens, which were a handful and then some. He has 5 kids, the youngest was 5.

33 years later, we still love each other and each others' kids. We get along great (most of the time). We have done lots of traveling and had a lot of fun. He survived colon cancer, and we have had many joys and sorrows.

He is 85.

Last week, by himself, he spread 2 yards of dirt around the yard. (He did forget to wear his backbrace, so he walked pretty bent over for a couple of days.).

I love taking pictures of him.

the picture below, he is shaving his head. My brother-in-law was going through chemo, and was not excited about our annual family get-together, because he had no hair. So Kenny shaved his head, so they would match. I can't tell you how special I think he is.

15 Likes Save    
jrb451

A stamped tin ceiling tile from the Albuquerque Indian School circa 1880 purchased at an arts and crafts show several years ago. I found an old photo of the tile installed in an AIS building when looking into its history. It’s a sad story.

22 Likes Save    
JoanMN

Seems like most of the Native stories are really sad.

5 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

These light fixtures are late 1930's, original to my 1940 house. Twist the finial on the bottom of the center section and it goes from one lit, to two lit, to three lit, to off. I like how the fixture in the entry coordinates but doesn't match.

22 Likes Save    
dedtired

Alisande, I have no idea if that chair has any antique value. Yes, it is sturdy as a rock. Fun to see yours!

i snapped a picture of my mother’s china cabinet, which belonged to her grandmother, so my great grandmother. It looks so much like Jim’s.

22 Likes Save    
chloebud

We have this Chinese fan with carved ivory that belonged to my MIL. Not sure of the age other than it's really old.

20 Likes Save    
Alisande

A simply-made cupboard of unknown age, but definitely old. Displayed are photos of female members of my family who have passed. My mother is at the lower left, my daughter next to her. I have to do some rearranging because I have three first cousins to add.

22 Likes Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Mine is my sofa that my uncles made for my grandmother (who died in 1940). The uncles worked in a furniture making company and it was made in the late 20's, early 30's. They both became upholsterers. My uncle Ed reupholstered the sofa I think in the 50's when I was a kid. The fabric on the pillows is from that redo. I had the sofa rebuilt and recovered around 15 years ago.

18 Likes Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Chloebud, cool fan and very cool frame!! Nicely done.

Alisande, your daughter was so beautiful. A bittersweet collection, to be sure.

4 Likes Save    
chloebud

murraysmom, my MIL had the fan framed. The fan is really special to us. Your sofa is beautiful. Love the wood! I didn't post a pic but we have a rocking chair that was made by my husband's great grandfather. It's lovely and not a nail in it.

2 Likes Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

dedtired

I took the wheels off of the china cabinet, much better on whatever floor without them.

1 Like Save    
donna_loomis

16 Likes Save    
Michele

My MIL gave this to my husband. A friend of hers who is Muslim found it on the sidewalk. Over 20 years ago. She picked it up because it seemed to be “something”, but gave it to MIL as she’s Catholic.

The year says 1797. I don’t know, but I thought it was a nice story it’s one reason why I like it.

18 Likes Save    
roy4me

Limoge China belonged to my husband's grandmother.

Roy is 89.

17 Likes Save    
Alisande

Joan, what a wonderful post. Kenny is every bit as fortunate as you are.

3 Likes Save    
dedtired

How did I miss the pictures of Kenny yesterday ? He does not look like 85 at all. What a honey. A real keeper.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Kenny is clearly a special guy!

1 Like Save    
woodrose

Joan, I don't know how I missed your post yesterday either. Your Kenny sounds like a great guy, and he sure looks good for his age ! I hope you two have many more happy years together.

2 Likes Save    
lgmd_gaz

joan, It is strange. I don't think your post was there yesterday....at least I didn't see it either. It is easy to see in those eyes and that smile that all you say about your Kenny is true. A special guy. I am lucky enough to have one of my own just like him.

1 Like Save    
Michele

Had to go back to see what Alisande was talking about. It wasn’t there for me either.

That is a real treasure. To be sharing life with someone you love!

1 Like Save    
JoanMN

Thank you all so much. We both tell each other almost every day how lucky we were to meet each other. He really is a treasure..

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 10 Look-at-Me Ways to Show Off Your Collectibles
Give your prized objects center stage with a dramatic whole-wall display or a creative shelf arrangement
Full Story
Mother’s Day Show Us Your Mom’s Influence on Your Home
Maybe it’s a great chess set or a style philosophy. With Mother’s Day nearing, where do you see your mom in your space?
Full Story
Tree Houses Houzz Call: Show Us Your Well-Designed Treehouse or Tree Fort!
Got a great treehouse or tree fort? We want to see it! Post yours in the Comments and we’ll feature the best in a future article
Full Story
We create amazing residential and commercial interiors unique to the clientele that we represent. This means that... Read More