SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artur_dasilva92

Gaggenau vs. Miele kitchen appliances.

Luna Lovegood
3 years ago

Me and my family are looking towards a full kitchen remodel after the quarantine is lifted safely enough so that we can get our hands on some luxury kitchen appliances, and we ended up narrowing down to these two options: Gaggenau and Miele.
We don't have any particular "series" or preference about these two brands, but would like to know which one of these two options is better and would fit a very, very skilled home cook in a average week or month.
Thanks in advance.

Comments (37)

• Architectural Notice
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't have personal experience with either but the following was posted on the Yale Appliance blog:

"Miele and Gaggenau are two of the premium brands in the appliance world. They are more expensive with very high quality and good reliability. ... Gaggenau focuses on quality first and offers the longest warranty at 10 years if you buy an entire Gaggenau kitchen. Gaggenau is a very distinct, high end and modern look." (This was from an older blog so don't know if they still offer the 10 year warranty.)

Luna Lovegood thanked Architectural Notice
  • wekick
    3 years ago

Are you looking at induction or gas burners?

What kind of cooking does this person do? How many are you cooking for? What type/size of cookware do you have?

How do you use your oven? Do you want gas or electric. Are you considering a combi oven?

Most here almost never recommend one brand for everything because no one brand has the best of everything. Some people do want a certain look though but you may be giving up function to get that.

Luna Lovegood thanked wekick
  • Related Discussions

miele vs. gaggenau micro/single wall oven combo

Q

Comments (1)
    Well, I think I answered part of my question...I just found the miele speed oven. I hate to give up on the gagggenau. It's such a pretty oven and I hear great things about its performance.
    ...See More

X-Post from Appliances: Seeking DW advice - Bosch vs KA vs Miele

Q

Comments (12)
    Our KA never worked well from Day 1. [KUDS03STSS - KitchenAid Architect Series II] I had to wash everything on "Heavy Duty" to have a hope that most things would come out clean. I don't know if we ever had a load of completely clean dishes! That said, it was from 2008. They may have improved since then, but I have no desire to try again! When that DW finally died my DH told me to pick the next one as he had picked the KA that we both hated! He told me to "check with the Forum"! :-) We replaced it with a Bosch 800-series. It is so much better! It has the third rack, if you like that for silverware (I don't - we also store our silverware at it's point of use, not next to the DW), but it also has two baskets (that attach to each other or that can be separate.) I use the third rack for shallow items that often get turned over and filled with water when they're on the other racks - e.g., measuring cups. My DH was dubious about the lack of a drying element, but if you leave it closed for awhile, everything except the plastics dries quickly. I've never had a DW that did a good job of drying plastics, so it's no different. As an added bonus, I don't have to worry about "top rack only" dishes - they can go anywhere!
    ...See More

Miele vs Gaggenau Induction flex cooktop.. CONFUSED!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Beth!!! I'm soooooo very sorry!! I completely forgot to come back!!!!! I'll share why I'm going with the Gagg. From what my friend told me, the higher wattage on the Miele was really a combination of their burners, so really they are fairly comparable. I prefer the size of the Miele because the cooktop is aprox 6 inches wider. I just think the burners being more spread out is appealing. BUT, I'm going with Gag for the KNOB. I went to the Miele showroom, and while I was overly impressed with almost everything else they do, I was going crazy trying to adjust the heat levels on the cooktop with the digital display. I tried and tried and tried, and I was randomly able to select the number I was focused on. The employee didn't say that it was broken, so I know this is what I could expect in real life. It's really no big deal and I could certainly live with it, and perhaps the Gag digitally controlled cooktops the same, but.... if I can have a knob that works, i definitely want to do that for ease. Of course, I haven't been able to try their knob to know if it's as accurate as I'm thinking it would be.. I'll ask around before I pull the trigger. I hope that helps and sorry again to leave you waiting.
    ...See More

Gaggenau 400 series or wait for Miele 7000 series for new appliances

Q

Comments (77)
    The Beverly Hills Miele experience manager is getting snippy when asked about the induction cooktop and is now saying it will be at least 3 years before that new induction cooktop comes out. She is aware of the online threads like this one and called it mostly 'misinformation'. Anything I posted here speculating about a release date is information directly from her Beverly Hills store. Miele announced the induction cooktop just short of 3 years ago and then has gone quiet on it since. I get that the pandemic supply chain issue but there should be some official response from the company on a release date by now other than from a cranky manager yelling it out of her office at my sales person. Rude.
    ...See More
  • akrogirl32
    3 years ago

We have a mix of appliances at the moment. My husband, a physicist and engineer, prefers Miele, because he finds the controls to be more logical, but both companies have some excellent products. We visited Gaggenau showroom in LA, and the Miele one in Scottsdale, and being able to play with the various appliances definitely helped our decision making.

Luna Lovegood thanked akrogirl32
  • wdccruise
    3 years ago

The Gaggenau 400 Series RY492704 refrigerator appears nearly identical to the Bosch Benchmark Series B36IT900NP. The Gaggenau 400 SeriesDF481763 dishwasher appears nearly identical to the Bosch 800 Series SGX68U55UC. How much of a premium is BSH -- which sells appliances under the Bosch, Thermador, and Gaggenau brands -- earning by relabeling its Bosch appliances as Gaggenau?

• jdsb2
    3 years ago

We went with Miele and are very pleased: induction, all gas range, speed oven, combi-steam, full sized convection oven, fridge and freezer, dishwashers. No regrets. Would buy all again tomorrow. Except We use induction much more than Gas so would probably skip the gas.

• Alex Max
    3 years ago

miele and gaggenau both make great products based on my experience. we have the gaggenau oven, fridge, and cooktop, and a miele dishwasher and ceiling extractor. gaggenau's products fit our needs better than miele. we love the side swing door because our oven stands in the middle of a cabinet stack, so we can easily get large items in and out without any worries. we also liked the interface and knobs on the gaggenau (not to mention the amazing lighting inside the oven) over the miele ovens. fridge wise, we have a handless kitchen, and the gaggenau fridge had push to open fridge and freezer combo, while miele only had that option in columns. for what it is worth, the bosch and gaggenau fridges are completely different (though you probably sorted that out when you went to the Gaggenau showroom). cooktop wise, the gaggenau full surface induction cooktop fit our aesthetic needs. though it doesn't interface with our hood like the miele induction would have, it simply looks better and is more functional for our needs. we went with the miele hood because we wanted a flush mounted ceiling extractor and they had the best option for our roofline. finally, we went with the miele dishwasher because it was the better deal. all of the appliances have been used rigorously for the past year and have worked exceptionally (as they should). I hope this helps!

• kavakia
    3 years ago

we went with all miele (induction, extractor, combi steam oven, speed over, convection oven) except Gaggenau columns freezer and refrigerator. All work perfectly. Only thing i would swap is the combi steam oven. works perfectly but hard to clean its interior after a roast. I think Gaggenau has a more clean friendly interior

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

The Gaggenau CX482610 induction cooktop (CA$7500* = US$5900) is a rebadged Thermador CIT30XWBB ($4800) with different trim. Other Gaggenau appliances are rebadged Bosch models. Bosch, Thermador and Gaggenau are BSH brands.

*Gaggenau hides its US prices from the Internet

• Anton Babadjanov
    3 years ago

I actually like the Bosch trim visually the most but unfortunately there is no plumbed Bosch steam oven. They appear to have kept the highest end features exclusive to Gaggenau to justify the price, even though the cost differential is minimal.

• Chri Auc
    3 years ago

Gaggenau is top for us dont forget to get pizza stone in your oven

and a must... and it also became the favorite is the plumbed in Steam oven !! Amazing 5 years going strong

fridge freezer full interior stainless shines like stars!!

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Chri Auc, I'm considering Gaggenau ovens for my new kitchen. Love the features and looks but pricing is considerably higher than Miele or Wolf. I'm willing to pay the price but I'm trying to determine reliability and longevity for Gaggenau ovens. I think it may be because Gaggenau is not as well known in the US and because it's pricier, but there is very little information on reliability and longevity. May I ask how much use your Gagg steam oven gets? Do you also have the convection oven? Are they still going strong and performing well?

• Chri Auc
    2 years ago

• Chri Auc
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

5 years now its very good for us I was scarded too never heard of the brand before ...

Its literally Bosch , Thermador , Gaggenau in luxury build quality Volume order .

From what I observed

Bosch and thermador will see most new feature implemented tried and tested for years before it makes it to the Hyperbrand Gaggenau. My guess they are not into marketing gimmick. i mean just go to their site and they barely show off their stuff , what about that weird size flat classic oven they are famous for, I saw they just update it the EB something , They dont change me apreciate that .

I have seen insides of a Gaggeneau oven along with a tech for FUN ( I wanted to look into modifying fan direction) , the components in there are proper heavy duty no lies..

Experience Tech noticed The Catylic muffler for smoke exhaust ... it is 3in diameter one inch thick ! you dont smell burn stuff while other brands all say they have one to put on a written specs list Gaggenau actually put one that works.

for usage it varies but we familly of 4 and used to get weekly visitors !

30 in oven with pizza stone is weekly love my pizza 550F

Steam 24in 4- 5 time week for reheating long slow cookoff best turkey , lamb potatoes ect !! man its awsome I should play more with bread and dessert but ... futur awaits

Microwave/full conventional oven 24 in : mutliple time day microwave! plus some eggs fritatas just perfect for it combi microwave and oven is utilitarian natchos when I don want to fire up the big guy !

Fridge 30 in full stainless interior

Freezer 24 in

Tepaniaki Daily ( crepes and Tortillas )

Induction so quick and better than gas.GAS is barely used other than stir frys

A downdraft fan asssembly was included when we purchased the demo Induction, tepan, Gas

So I installed one of the 2 louver above steam oven to extract hot steam direct outside.

As for price:

I found all my appliances thru official receiver of Bosch dented box so did not pay the Full estimated 60kCND for new . I m BC vancouver they can ship some depending on their stock super service experience but did not need service for these Gaggenau . Samsung washer Dryer and fridges that I did need to service.

I have been told by tech and sales that only Doctor by this brand !

I took it as compliment as I m simple layman

All applliance build England , France, only fridge freezer in Turkey to me that means something .

The glass over stainless front are so nice to care for , the look is different and timeless to me wich makes it such an Statement compare to all the others common brands.

Lots of tricks learned to showoff weekend dinners:

Induction : Lay sillicone cooking mats for daily usage ( prevent scratches )

Tepaniaki : Sodium percarbonate or vinegar along with soft pad is your friend , Ice cubes works also.

Steam, self cleans itself pending some cartridges , but I have been refilling them as experiment it works . I cleaned it 6 times or so I like shiny mine is plumbed in and I love that .

Main oven with pizza stone and rotiserie I wash the glass once a month because Its eye height and pretty That reminds me I did change a light Bulb inside once.

Fridge freezer I pop open the bottom twice a year and compress air clean compressor heat exchanger but I have cat dog I could do once a year instead . I replace filter of ice maker once and cancel the alarm 3 times I got good water .

Miele would be good too and more user friendly perhaps

I did not have access to them cheaper and fell in love with Gaggenau anyways

wolf and Subzero owner friend told me I put theirs to shame was not my intent ... their is beautiful too

• PRO
    Perfectly Painted Designs
    2 years ago

@JJ Mekai -Not sure if its helpful but I’ve got a good friend who’s a luxury home developer & he only uses Gaggenau. Says he’s always been impressed w/ the supreme build quality & stringent quality-control standards employed in the German factories.

He also heavily stressed how many overlook them due to the high $$ but when u factor in the features + build quality compared to other market options in the US they’re easily a STEAL ... (sadly we don’t see many of the coolest things like integrated induction in stone countertops).

Only negative he mentions is: “Its a lot of oven & many never get to know what its capable of or how all the settings work- so it really depends on budget & how serious the home cook(s) are. For someone who just wants an oven for the random frozen pizza, warming leftovers, and casual cake its likely overkill.”

I’ve spec’d quite a few Gaggenau appliances for clients & friends over the years since he sang their praises - not a single person has ever mentioned complaints to me yet (can’t say the same for most of our other brands - although its ALWAYS possible to get that one-off bad lemon)

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Perfectly Painted Designs, Yes, very helpful! Such good information, especially when it's so challenging to get real world experience with the brand. Is your developer friend using the entire Gaggenau appliance line or just the cooking appliances and then perhaps Sub Zero for refrigeration or Miele for dishwashers? This is actually how I'm leaning now, Gaggenau for cooking, Sub Zero for refrigeration and Miele or Bosch for dishwashing.

• PRO
    2 years ago

@JJ Mekai - Believe he gets pretty decent developer discount, so usually uses all Gaggenau unless its a pre-build buy and clients are brand loyal....

Knowing luxury builds have extensive warranties so repair crews have experience w/ all luxury brands I‘m almost always asking his thoughts BUT its usually about the newest shiny thing coming out that’s got me all excited.

He gives me the same speech Every. Single. Time. (Obv. does no good cuz I always ask 😂):

”You can’t make a true judgment of quality on 1st gen appliance...no matter how old/reliable the company making it. Without comparable/competitive products on market they don‘t have the data needed to make a GREAT product.

Essentially they build fully functional prototype, keep costs as low as possible, and hope to spark consumer frenzy to recoup investment capital (hopefully a lot more). Consumers use product IRL & provide the necessary feedback / complaints needed to work out kinks.

If its successful enough for 2nd-3rd gen then u know they have enough consumer feedback, warranty claims, & product income to make a true quality assessment. This is when the companies that care about their reputation & consumers stand out.

Did they make the necessary changes?

1) High fail rate pieces replaced w/ higher quality parts - *Complaints about new model have decrease or are about a different issue*

2) Performance issues addressed (usually found in product details) - *i.e. Thermador Freedom upgrades = small diameter induction discs installed in larger # to avoid dead spot issues*”

I know he’s also a fan of many cult favorites I’ve inquired about....such as Sub-Zero Fridge: said they run like tanks thanx to the multi-compressor system which reduces

heavy wear/tear (compared to others that use a single compressor for all functions).

WOW THIS POST GOT OUTTA HAND haha....sorry for that novel!

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Perfectly Painted Designs, this is some of the most useful information on the subject I've seen. Makes a lot of sense now that I see it and think about it. Thank you for taking the time to post. Not outta hand at all.

• kavakia
    2 years ago

we looked at the sub-zero columns as well. while known for quality, the mediocre interior design (ie all plastic white with some funny white metal shelves with visible connections) that essentially looks like any other medium range line made us stay away from it.

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@kavakia, what refrigerator did you decide to purchase?

• kavakia
    2 years ago

we went with Gaggenau columns (30inch refrigerator and 24inch freezer with water/ice). 3years now going strong without a problem

• TXGuy
    2 years ago

@Chri Auc thanks for the great info. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by refilling the cleaning cartridges?

• Chri Auc
    2 years ago

I m simply reverse engineering the OEM cleaning cartridge , the chemical used are listed on the box , and just need to stack em seal them with water soluble wax

. nothing is magic !

I then I get to show off starting cleaning cycle after a Steam turkeys !! ( steam turkeys are amazing better than deep fried ) or Prime ribs ..... this steam oven never cease to impress us! when I think we were not going to consider it .....

IMO or in our kitchen built for Dishwasher we stayed with Bosch level they had the best feedback from our Gageneau supplier and tech we did not mind brands mismatch

still is the same corp.. What everyone should consider is 2 Yes TWO diswasher we have a 24in (use for Glassware only and a standart size 30 in ( was an IKEA pamphlet suggestion ) man that is super nice to have !! cycle time being so long now Glass always perfect

• TXGuy
    2 years ago

@Chri Auc -- I don't know that I'm up for that level of experimentation, but I appreciate your ingenuity :) However, if you post the specifics of what you do, I bet some of us will try it!

What is your "recipe" for the steam oven turkey? I didn't think it could get better than fried! I would also be interested in how you do your prime ribs.

• kashmi
    2 years ago

@Chri Auc -- are you willing to share the name of the Canadian company that sells the dented box items? In Googling, I found Boss Wholesale, but did not know if that was the company you used. I live in Seattle, so thought shipping might not be too bad. Getting Gaggenau appliances at a better price is enticing! Thanks in advance.

• Chri Auc
    2 years ago

the Gargle got it right !! boss wholesale got the service team and know how

talk to AL or Jimmy

if you don tmind let them know Frenchy Christian told you so !! lol

good deal enjoy !

• kashmi
    2 years ago

@ Chris Auc -- Thank you! When calling, I certainly will mention that you are the reference. Much appreciated.

• kashmi
    2 years ago

Reporting back for others who might be interested. I contacted the folks in Vancouver, BC. They will sell to me (in the US), but the warrenty will not transfer to the US. Bummer. Still, @Chris Auc, thank you for the information (and I did say that it was you who had made the recommendation).

• Catherine Tchen
    2 years ago

@kashmi Did you order your Gaggenau from the Seattle area or get a quote? My architect purchased several appliances via the same type of vendor than Boss Wholesale on Ebay. I'm in the Portland, OR area ... don't have a quote yet but the nice thing with OR on the other side of the river is that one can have the appliances shipped to the dealer... u-haul from PDX to SEA would still be cheaper than sales tax... I'd be interested to know your local dealer's quote.

• Catherine Tchen
    2 years ago

@Chri Auc Merci pour toutes vos informations. How's the pizza? I wonder how it may compare to this outdoor oven that goes to 1100F - 44,000 BTU https://appliances.monogram.com/us/specs/ZEP30SKSS 

https://www.lynxgrills.com/products/category/napoli-outdoor-oven

and do you have any experience with the 24" convection oven as if it would hold a 16" pizza or be too tight? Merci

• JJ Mekai
    2 years ago

@Catherine Tchen, do you know where your architect purchased from? I'm in the PNW as well.

• Catherine Tchen
    2 years ago

@JJ Mekai Not sure. I think the dealer was in the Los Angeles area. Several with great ratings are from the NJ and AL region and offer free shipping or $200 flat rate shipping. It seems most have small dents in the non-exposed areas or overstock from appliances "package deals"

• kashmi
    2 years ago

@Catherine Tchen, Hi. I did get a Gaggenau steam oven from a Seattle dealer, but it was an open box item with a dent on the top, both otherwise untouched. I could not find any other discounted Gaggenau items. So while I would have loved to have purchased the 30" oven with the side opening door, I went with a Miele instead. BUT, it has not arrived and is not due to be installed until late May, so if you know of a reliable option for ordering Gaggenau ovens at a discount, I'm all ears! And, you're quite right about the trip to PDX being quite worthwhile. Thank you.

• HU-27718090
    last year

We have two homes which both have complete Miele appliances. From two convection ovens, six burner cooktop (one electric and one gas), a built in coffeemaker, steam oven, microwave and plate warmer, the refrigerator and dishwasher. We have never had any problems with any item. Gaggenau started making some appliances in the 1990's whilst Miele has been making appliances for almost one hundred years.

I am not sure what you are saying when you wrote 'would fit a very, very skilled home cook in a average week or month', as if you are a very, very skilled home cook, these are appliances just like the ones you are using, only better.

Personally, I would go for the Miele appliances over Gaggenau. The have been making appliances much, much longer than Gaggenau, owned by Bosch.

• PRO
    last year

@HU-27718090 Miele makes absolutely fabulous appliances!

However the assumption that ”Miele has been making appliances a lot longer than Gaggenau” is incorrect. Although they weren’t widely available on the US market (prior to Bosch acquisition), its actually one of the oldest appliance companies in the world & still has headquarters in Gaggenau, Germany.

Miele & Gaggenau are known to have some of the highest engineering & quality control standards in the industry that makes them both fabulous. It really boils down to personal needs, budget, & shopping/repair accessibility.

• JJ Mekai
    last year

@HU-27718090, thank you for your input. How long have you had your Miele appliances?

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-27718090: "Personally, I would go for the Miele appliances over Gaggenau. The have been making appliances much, much longer than Gaggenau, owned by Bosch."

That makes no sense. That's like arguing that one should buy a Ford simply because it's been around longer than Tesla. It's a company's current products that matter, not those it made 20 years ago.