SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Thoughts on 4 chairs in the living room

bac717
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am seriously considering a furniture arrangement of 4 chairs (possibly swivel) around a coffee table in our living room and am looking for any insight on why this may or may not be a good idea. Last fall, we had our floors refinished, new windows installed and walls painted. With the new windows, we really prefer to not have anything in front of them (which is where the sofa was prior to the improvements). We are now starting to look at new furniture. We currently have the sofa floating with 2 chairs across from it, in order to give us the feel of a 4 chair arrangement. We like this set up for conversation. My thoughts are that we currently have seating for 5, but really, who wants to be the person in the middle of the sofa. Take that spot away and you're left with 4. With 4 individual chairs, everyone is comfortable. My only hesitation is not having the sofa for a nice little nap everyone once in a while. Do you have this arrangement? If so, do you miss having a sofa?

I will add some pictures of my space if you PROMISE to look past the green sofa, plaid chairs AND RUG that are going away!!! Remember this arrangement is only for getting an idea of having 4 chairs. The living room opens to the dining room. That's where I was standing to take this picture. Front door is to the right.

I would like to keep the bookcase on this wall.

Here's a floor plan to give you an idea of the size of the room. We had the 54" half wall removed when we had the floors done.

Comments (38)