SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigrow

Which media for my Chinese Wisteria in huge cedar box?

learningasigrow
3 years ago

Hello all, I have been foraging through many threads on 5-1-1, 1-1-1, Water Retention, and Trees in Containers yet I am uncertain of which media to use on a Chinese Wisteria in zone 6, outdoors year-round, in a 3’x3’ (a square cubic yard) cedar box. I’ve lined it with landscaping fabric and sealed the wood with an oil-based stain/sealer. My goal here is to have provided it with a large enough home that I must never repot the plant. I am training it into about a 10’ tree and it would be very tricky to have to repot or root prune. My concern is obviously for PWT and aeration because as I understand it, 511 will break down eventually and most anything else will compact. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also what are the thoughts on treatIng it as a raised garden bed (since it will only be separated from the earth by landscape fabric) and will drain freely with lots of air from all sides? Could I add earthworms and such to mimic a natural biome?

Also if you are wondering why not just plant it in the ground: It is providing screening for an electrical box and is directly over wires/cables. Another note is that this was a clearance purchase and an experiment. I’m set on using it in this manner and if it succeeds it succeeds, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. I really appreciate any help on this. I’m a relatively novice dirt farmer and have recently discovered that I am lucky my container plants ever survived being overwintered even indoors!

A picture of the box before being sealed for reference: It’s the large middle box.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting