SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eveningg

Begonia canes don't grow upright

Eve N
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi. I'm new to posting, but have been reading through all the great information in these forums. I've had a Begonia maculata wightii for over 20 years, originally purchased from Lauray of Salisbury. When it gets too large for its window space, I cut it down to stumps and propagate/give away the cuttings.

This plant has never grown upright for me. The stems always grow sideways, spiraling around, creating a big round clump. Leaves will curl as well. All the cuttings do the same. Otherwise, it's very robust and I have no problems with it in east or south facing windows, though it has never flowered for me.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this? Possibly a virus? Is this a new but undesirable mutation/sport? It doesn't seem to be contagious since my other cane begonias are right next to it and they all grow straight. Maybe it's not maculata wightii?

The first photo is one stem of the mother plant, the 2nd is a tip cutting (only that upright because I had it staked). Largest leaf is about 10" long. Thanks for any info you can share.

Eve

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH