SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dimitrig_gw

Pruning cane begonias in Southern California?

dimitrig
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have two cane begonias (Irene Nuss-type but maybe not exactly Irene Nuss, I can't remember) that I have been growing for a few years. They got very tall and spindly but they flowered profusely. I read last year that I really should be pruning them back each year, which I wasn't doing. I read that in our climate I should prune about 1/3 off each year around President's Day so this year I did that despite the fact that the begonias were actually covered in flowers at the time.

That left very few leaves on the plants and they didn't even start to really grow at all until May. I just recently got my first flowers again. One of the plants did shoot up a new cane. The other one has not. I would say they look a little more full than before, but there's not a huge difference.

I am asking myself what the point of that was, because I pretty much sacrificed an entire season of flowers and I don't see any benefit from it. As the plants are growing they are starting to look like they did before except (as I said) a little bit more full Slightly fuller plants don't seem worth not having any flowers for 6 months.

What am I missing here? Should I prune them again next February or was that a mistake?

Comments (12)