SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_816490238

Simple Asian style shower and bathroom

Lanka Kris A
3 years ago

Hi Everyone! We are renovating a one bedroom shack on the beach in Sri Lanka and the bathroom is a big challenge. It is long and narrow (4'6" wide and 10'6" wide.). The shower is in the middle and is the asian style that sprays water everywhere. We are on a tight budget and can't rearrange the layout of sink/shower/toilet or make the whole thing bigger.

I am thinking of installing two tempered glass panels on either side of the shower as partitions so at least the sink and toilet don't get soaking wet. This leaves the water splashing from the shower to the floor all the way to the wall across from the shower (remember the whole width is only 4 and a half feet), and people have to walk through to get to the toilet!

Here is my idea: polished concrete on all of the bathroom walls so water splashing is no problem. For the floor of the whole shower area (wall to wall), dig 3 or 4 inches lower into the concrete and install more drainage. Then cover the floor with removable teak slats for the whole shower area (all the way to the wall past the glass partitions), making sure that the top of the teak is flush with finished tile floor in the rest of the bathroom. That way you can walk by the shower area to get to the toilet without slipping, if someone recently showered the water will have already drained under the teak.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone out there see another solution that doesn't involve moving the plumbing around? No building codes here to adhere to.

2) We are 12 meters away from a very rough sea-- any metal will rust quickly. Is there a way to install tempered glass without using metal? If I can't use glass we will have to just make the partitions concrete with maybe some glass bricks to let light in...

3) What am I missing? Excuse my terrible drawing. :) Shower area is in the middle, sink to the left and toilet to the right.

Thanks for any help you can offer us!

Comment (1)