SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_davis45

container and in-ground plants suddenly dying after rain?

Lauren Davis
3 years ago

Something has caused almost all my plants to start dying literally in a 48 hour period. Most of these are container plantings, so I don’t see how it could be a soil issue. It’s been very dry the last 6 weeks or so, then we got a nice bit of rain this week. I was expecting to see my babies looking happy and perkier after the rain, but instead they seem to have seriously declined.
What could be the problem? Something the rain activated? The only other thing I can think of is that a neighbor sprayed them?
My container plants affected include: viburnum - “snowball” and “blue muffin,” 3 types of blueberry, joe pye weed babies, spearmint, catnip, columbine, elephant ears, hino-white azalea, and potentilla.
My in-ground “white diamonds” and “limelight” hydrangeas are both affected as well - both paniculatas.
Unaffected container plants include: sweet potato, pole beans, tomatoes, pumpkin, cucumber, clematis, moon flower, dahlias, autumn joy sedum, bellflowers, hydrangea macrophyllas - several cultivars including Nantucket Blue and Endless Summer, lavender, Gomer Waterer rhododendrons, English ivy and creeping Jenny.
Unaffected in-ground plants include: Quince, Limetta arborescens hydrangeas, Tardiva paniculata hydrangea, dwarf lilac, mock orange, rugosa roses, more tomatoes, and beautyberries.

Any ideas what the heck could’ve happened? I’m at a loss.

Comments (11)