SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzballiscute

Urgent! Michelia alba slowly dying after being planted in the ground

Hello,

I’ve had this tree for a few years now. Me and my mother had purchased it at a Chinese New Year festival. It always grew very vigorously and we had to upscale it’s pots several times.

Me and my mom planted it in the ground just this past late spring, it had been root bound and too large for its pot, and it’s never looked so good since. It got droopy but was okay for a while, but these past couple months it’s leaves began turning yellow and dropping. Now it barely has any leaves left, some of the branches have died. There are still some green tips but it doesn’t look too great. The tree is between 7 and 8 feet, a large, once beautiful sight.

My mom passed away this late August, and the tree was something very special to both me and her. Planting it with her was one of the last few things I did with her before she became too sick to do physical activities.

I'm usually the one doing research on our plants, however I never even knew the common English or scientific name until just now. My mom grew up in China and she knew this tree from her childhood (therefore only the Chinese name).

I‘ve been looking around on the internet and I can’t find much on my situation. I see similar problems happening due to root rot, but where the tree is potted, and being overwatered. I was a bit overwhelmed these past months, so watering wasn't as often as I’d think I would need. However when I did, I soaked the area, but i never saw the leaves perk back up.

I just went outside to try to get a better look at the tree. I read that it is very important to not bury the bottom of the trunk, and I was able to uncover a few inches. However, this part of the trunk was buried a while back, when it was still growing in a pot. The surface of the pot was buried at the surface of the ground, I could tell since I could see the root ball still at the surface (when it was potted, It was so cramped, roots grew all the way to the surface of the pot). I had to break the root ball a bit to uncover the rest of the trunk. It has been raining pretty hard these past couple days but inside the roots it was still rather dry (not dust-dry, but dry). So now I’m thinking, it may need water? The leaves don’t look shriveled...

I live in the SF Bay Area, we have a mild climate. The last few days have been the coldest, with night lows in the higher 30s F. (i know they can be grown outdoors year long in my area. There is one at the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, which is just nearby me) It is surrounded by other trees in a low wind, less cold area. It survived our whole winter before, in an even colder area, potted. The place it used to be was sunnier though, to be mentioned. I don’t know if I should try and protect against the cold just in case, to keep it from drying quicker, and if so how to...

I’m sorry this probably a very long jumbled post, I’m just trying to put as much information out there (I’ll add pictures). I know this problem should have been addressed earlier, but I had thought it would be fine after a while, and I’d been so busy i didn’t notice how bad it had gotten.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, information, guesses to what happened, it would mean so much. Not only is this a large and beautiful tree that I’ve been growing several years, its mostly has a lot of sentimental value to me and memories that cant be replaced. I’m afraid its too late but I’ll try anything I can. It seems like another case of you don’t know how much something means to you until its gone.

Thank you and much love,

Yani

Comments (5)