Quotes about Books

Carolyn Newlen

I just ran across a quote by Anne Lamott that is new to me:

For some of us, books are as important as anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid pieces of paper unfolds world after world . . . worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet you, or excite you.

SaveComment8Like2
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masgar14

thus you discover the paradoxical virtu of reading, which is to abstract ourselves from the world in order to find meaning in it (Daniel Pennac French uthor)

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

3 Likes Save    
astrokath

From Carl Sagan:

What an astonishing thing a book is. It's a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you're inside the mind of another person, maybe somebody dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, an author is speaking clearly and silently inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic.

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

"Books are the mirror of the soul" Virginia Woolf

Save    
Carolyn Newlen

Vee, I either have the soul of a murderer or I'm a seeker of justice. Yeah, that's it.

"I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

On the Bas Bleu Facebook page this morning:

3 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

2 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

From the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society:

"Reading good books just ruins you for bad books."

That's from memory and may not be exactly right. Our book club read the book, and while it was sweet and entertaining, it was not exactly what I call a really good book. But the point is true.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Books 11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
Kitchen Design Sink Into 12 Kitchens That Are Serious About Their Books
See how these precious possessions are showcased in this popular room
Full Story
At 21st Century Home Improvement Painting and Roofing, our goal as a company is to serve the home improvement... Read More
Mikiten has a deep and first-hand understanding not only of the need for architectural designs that are usable by... Read More