Quotes about Books
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Book Videos & 2 Great Reviews of Books You May not Know About
Comments (1)Thank you....See MoreReview of a book about book reviewing.
Comments (5)I rely on a variety of sources. I prefer to read opinions from all walks of life, rather than limiting to a certain venue, group or class of people. For ideas on what to read, I visit bulletin boards, a few bloggers and reviewers, and rely on word-of-mouth. I try to save critical reviews for after I've read a book; then I'll look for newspaper and online reviews. I find it helps to get some perspective and context on the reviewer. So when I read Amazon reviews, I look at the other books that person has reviewed to get a sense of what that person's worldview or personal slant on things may be. I much prefer an open-ended dialogue with other readers than critical reviews, though. I'm not a student anymore. I'm just a middle-aged woman in search of a good book to read....See MoreQuotes 10 - 6 - 17
Comments (2)Love the Caroline Gordon quote about books being Magic Carpets. How I fallowed Thor Heyerdahl and his travels and his quotes are so correct. I think they really strike home with people of my generation who had many of the same experiences. David Brin is one of my best loved SF writers and I hope for more books. Got to agree with most of his quotes....See MoreDelightful books about books ......
Comments (10)Great topic, Yoyobon! Just yesterday I picked up a rather new book from the library for which I'd been waiting in line for a while. Its title is The Library Book, written by Susan Orlean. I've only taken a quick peek, but it looks really interesting. Unfortunately, because several of my "holds" became available all at once (you know the feeling), I'm going to have to return this one to the library unread and put myself back on the hold list. But I sort of can't wait to read it. Here's a partial description from Booklist: Libraries pulse with stories and not only those preserved in books. When creative nonfiction virtuoso Orlean (Rin Tin Tin, 2011) first visited Los Angeles' Central Library, she was transfixed. Then she learned about the 1986 fire, which many believed was deliberately set and which destroyed or damaged more than one million books and shut the library down for seven years. Intrigued, Orlean embarked on an all-points research quest, resulting in this kaleidoscopic and riveting mix of true crime, history, biography, and immersion journalism. While her forensic account of the conflagration is eerily mesmerizing, Orlean is equally enthralling in her awestruck detailing of the spectrum of activities that fill a typical Central Library day, and in her profiles of current staff and former head librarians, including brilliant and forceful Tessa Kelso, who ran into censorship issues, and consummate professional Mary Jones, who was forced out in 1905 because the board wanted a man. Orlean widens the lens to recount the crucial roles public libraries have played in America and to marvel at librarians' innovative and caring approaches to meeting diverse needs and cutting-edge use of digital technologies....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

BOOKS11 Great Children’s Books About Home (and 2 Honorable Mentions)
Homes come in many different shapes and sizes, and these kids’ books highlight the tallest, the smallest, the oldest and the silliest
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSink Into 12 Kitchens That Are Serious About Their Books
See how these precious possessions are showcased in this popular room
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDAn American Chef Remodels in Paris (and Lives to Write About It)
Fixing up an apartment in a foreign land gives pastry chef David Lebovitz the ingredients for a new book
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGE10 Reasons to Love Books in the Kitchen
It’s not just about cookbooks and digital recipes — some love to keep a mini library in the heart of the home
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES7 Libraries That Tell a Story About the People Who Read There
Book lovers show off their collections in rooms with a range of colors, styles and seating spots
Full Story
FURNITUREAim High: What to Know About Adding a Library Ladder
Have books or shelves out of reach? Here’s how to get a library ladder that works just right for your needs
Full Story
MORE ROOMSCreate a Place for Books
Dining Rooms, Living Rooms, Halls — Even TV Rooms Have Library Potential
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDinner and a Good Book: 12 Double-Duty Dining Rooms
Create your own library-inspired reading room by pairing a dining table with bookshelves
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: 20 Coffee Table Books Beautiful Enough for Mom
Encourage a favorite hobby or ignite a new interest with a coffee table book that makes a thoughtful Mother's Day gift
Full Story


kathy_t