SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess_shumake

House Design Critique

Jessica
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Anyone out there have a hobby of analyzing and perfecting house plans?? This is the second time we've built, and we would love for this one to be our forever home. So I would love some fresh eyes to look it over and see if there are any suggestions you would make! We are doing a metal barndominium type build, so we're hoping to keep it rectangle shaped. It's 80x40, and 3200 sq ft is at the top of our budget. Any interior walls can be shifted, so feel free to let me know what you would change if it was yours! We have four children, two boys and two girls. So the two girls are sharing a room, and as are the two boys. We homeschool and will be using the school/play room for both school and to house toys/books, etc. The stairway that you see will be leading up to an unfinished second story. We will use it for attic storage for now, but may eventually finish off an extra room or two up there. So if that happens, we would love to move the treadmill up there, but for now it will have to be in the guest room.
Thanks so much for any thoughts you have!!
-Jessica

**Update**

Originally posted in September 2020. It's now 11 months later, August 2021, and I was asked for an update that I provided in the comments. Many haven't read the comments, so thought I'd put an update here as well. :)

We are right in the middle of building now! Framed, with roof on and mechanicals roughed in, and insulation starts this week. We changed things around several times before getting to our final plan, although a lot of it is similar to the first version I posted here. Once we cleared the woods from the home site and got the slope of the land, we realized we needed to flip the orientation, and the garage had to change location, which moved some other things around. Plus we fine tuned some other details to make the most of the square footage for our family's needs. :) We so appreciated the many helpful comments we received! Some advice we were able to implement. Some didn't work due to budget, lay of the land, or our own preferences. But we were grateful for those who took time to share their thoughts. The plan is similar to our current house plan in a lot of ways, which we built 5 years ago. But it has more room, as our family is larger now, and is an upgrade in any ways. So hopefully we will love it. I'll try to update after we're settled, so others in the future can hear what we regret or don't regret! :) Here's what we wound up with:

Comments (53)