SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_934544629

25 year old Asko washer inlet valve not closing when it should

3 years ago

Our quarter century old Asko 10505 clothes washer won't shut off the inlet valve going into the tub through detergent compartment #1. Continues to fill with water even when draining. Have to turn the control knob to manually advance the cycle or go to another cycle until somehow the valve shuts off or if that fails, turn off the water altogether at the tap. I suspect it's a faulty inlet valve since it often continues to leak a trickle of water into the tub between washes. But I wonder whether there's also an issue with the dial control not sending the signal to the #1 inlet valve to shut off. Or a defective water lever sensor. Anyway, can't leave the washer to operate unattended, lest I risk having the tub overfill and flood the area.

We've been quite happy with the washer. It has lasted close to 25 years, requiring only a replacement of a broken coin trap and about four years ago the motor brushes which had worn out completely. These were already impossible to get in the U.S., had to order a pair from Australia through Ebay and even then jerry-rig them to make them fit and operate the motor.
New inlet valves are difficult if not impossible to get. All I see online is pre-owned ones, also from Australia, and even though specified for this washer (as the motor brushes were) I wonder whether they'll also require some jerry-rigging.

Maybe I could repair the old valve?

We'd love to keep this one alive. All new washers have circuit board control panels, and our experience with appliances that come with electronic control boards, as opposed to mechanical controls, hasn't been very good. They keep on going bad, and after a few years it's impossible to get replacements.

Anyway, if we buy a new one, it'll have to be front-loading, stackable and about the same size, about 24 in. wide, 24 in. deep and 33 in. tall. There are Asko, Bosch and a GE 2.4 cu. ft. Front Load Washer of about this size. Any experience with any of these brands in terms of durability, replacement parts? Any other brand we should consider?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH