SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Acidifying Soil Amendments

Thought I'd start a discussion on this as it is my current investigation/project.
I'll preface this with the following: I live in an area that has good quality, yet naturally alkaline, water. For most of my trees and other plants it isn't too much of an issue. However I have ONE tree that is sensitive. Right now, I've been using a small amount of vinegar for that tree when I water it and it has cleared up the problems it was having from the slight alkalinity of the soil. Thing is, I don't have a lot of storage for multiple watering cans, and thus only have one that I use for all of my plants. This means that if that tree and other plants need to be watered on the same day I have to water all of my other plants, then amend the water for that tree, then clean the watering can for the next use. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance, and if I can eliminate the need for the vinegar I can cut some time off of my watering schedule.
On to the discussion/project. I know that certain soil additions can decrease PH in the soil, pine needles come to mind, as does pine bark, peat moss, etc. Knowing this, since that tree is nowhere near in need of a repot and it is too heavy to repot easily, I have been considering adding a layer of medium to the top of the pot and mixing it into the top layer of soil to see if I can adjust that one tree's soil enough to stop requiring vinegar on watering day. I know some mediums need to break down a bit before they acidify the medium, others seem to work well. Right now I'm leaning towards testing out pine bark or pine needles as I can get them pretty easily in my area. Peat moss holds a bit too much water and may not be the best choice for an indoor space. I'd like to stick to organic options if possible. Discussion?

Comments (18)