SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camillelu

Maple Flooring Stain?

camillelu
3 years ago

Hi Everyone. First time posting and want to thank everyone in advance for their thoughts.

We just bought a home and are refinishing the maple flooring and gutting the kitchen and bathrooms.

Our GC recommended we sand the maple floors down and stain them "Duraseal Silvered Grey" to get the natural palette that we are trying to achieve. I'm nervous because I know that Maple is finicky. Can anyone help weigh in on the following:

(1) Is it possible to stain maple floors to get the look we want to achieve? Photos are attached -- photo of the floors with kitchen is our actual home as it exists prior to any work being done. Photos of the floors without kitchen is the flooring color we are trying to achieve. I realize that our floors are diagonal and a different wood than in the target floor picture.

(2) If it is possible to stain maple, are there any tips/tricks you could share (e.g., don't use water-based stain, etc.)?

(3) Will the maple yellow if we have a light stain?

(4) Any other words of caution about working with maple? (e.g., maple gets blotchy when x happens)

We wish we could replace the floors entirely but, unfortunately, that is not in our budget.

Current flooring with prior owner's furniture. Note: we are gutting the kitchen.

Flooring color we are trying to achieve:

Comments (13)