SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_luke97

lead paint with wallpaper over it...

3 years ago

Hi there,

We’ve recently purchased a 1906 home that still has original wallpaper in certain rooms ( much of the wallpaper is textured so we can’t paint over it or lay new paper on top) and other rooms with wallpaper and mirrors adhered to walls before 1976 (the house hasn’t been touched in 30 years, the last room to be updated was the kitchen). We realize we’re taking on a lot with the house so I’m only looking for helpful information and first hand experience with lead paint, wallpaper removal for this post. We have two young children so my initial thought of stripping wallpaper throughout the day has gone out the window with the realization that there is lead paint under it.

I’m looking for insight into removal of the wallpapers. Should I hire someone and we all get out of the house for days? Will removing the wallpaper disturb the lead paint? Should we abate the lead paint or encapsulate it? And the room with the mirrors glued around it; I’m assuming when we take those mirrors off it will absolutely disturb the paint along with the plaster. This is a big safety concern of mine with having a family that will be living in the house and I want to do it the right way. Any advice on what you’ve done in a similar situation would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living