SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea0539

Dull brick home

29 days ago

We live in a typical older all brick Texas neighborhood. Many of the houses are all brick in different brick colors with typical dull accent colors.

We’ve been trying to figure out a cohesive paint palette for our typical house that stays true to the neighborhood without sticking out like a sore thumb so no white or dramatic dark color schemes which I must confess I absolutely love.

Our brick is tan with primary brown and earth tones and we have avoided brown because it’s dark and happens to be my least favorite color. We’ve tried all the bronzes, but the tone seems to shift when the evening (West) sun hits it and honestly I feel it’s as meh as brown.

I’m further confounded after reading an article that says I should include a paint color that picks up any stone we have on our exterior. Our stone is a creamy Austin chalk which is ok, but where do we include a cream paint color on the house? We also have accent brick on the stone that I’m thinking of color matching to the stone because I think 20 years ago it was beautiful, but now I feel has become outdated.

To muddy the waters even more I wouldn’t mind adding siding and custom designed shutters. My husband is all for the shutters because he can build them, but does not want to add siding because of the cost.

Any color help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Is this photo as you have? Or something you mocked up? with the ivory?

Landscaping, a change of garage doors to doors with windows!

No to the shutters. A new front door. Lighting on the front door bump out.

Is that the mail in front?

Rather resembles a tombstone? : )

In all? Plenty of ways with those methods, to differentiate yourself very attractively, from others around you.

• 29 days ago

This is an actual photo of the house today. The garage and front door are actually a bleached out taupe color. I agree with your opinion of the mailbox. and, unfortunately, every house has one just like it.

• Related Discussions

What type of brick for traditional red brick home?

Q

Comments (2)
    You might be interested in wood mold brick or paper cut. Old Virginia Brick, as well as others, has wood mold, and you could check out Columbus Brick in Columbus, MS for paper cut brick. Both styles have that "Old Style" look. Good luck.
    ...See More

NVa Dulles Home/Garden Show

Q

Comments (0)
    If you're in the NoVa area, the Dulles Home/Garden show is going on this weekend at the Dulles Expo center. It is two buildings. One is primarily outdoor stuff (gardens, siding, windows, exterior remodeling, etc). The other is primarily indoor stuff (bathrooms, kitchens, appliances, tile, HVAC, counters, etc). I got a chance to see some of the Meile stuff (cooktops, double ovens, coffee center, fridge, vacuums), Electrolux, Leibher and so on.
    ...See More

color choices for LR/DR/K in new house - DULL?

Q

Comments (32)
    Thanks, blf. That is exactly what I love about this site. Honest criticism! It doesn't tie in with anything. The closest tie-ins might be the leather recliner and the fact that we used to live in Texas! Houzz shows tons of cowhide rugs these days, but maybe the rooms are more contemporary than mine. Maybe the cowhide rug in my room is just trying to hard to be different! Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz cowhide rugs[(https://www.houzz.com/products/cowhide-rugs-prbr1-br~t_515~a_623-12946)
    ...See More

Chimney brick different than the house brick

Q

Comments (7)
    Not a Pro. My two cents. Looks like your chimney may have been rebuilt at one point. I would not do anything to change that. As for the steps, they look fine to me. I would not paint them, but I would power wash them. This is where I would focus my changes, new landscaping, painting the ceiling of your porch area a shade of blue, take down string lights, change door color.
    ...See More
  • 29 days ago

Landscaping has been updated since the photo was taken.

• PRO
    29 days ago

So, it is or is not a photo as of now....."landscaping has been updated since photo was taken"

• 29 days ago

This photo was taken last year. The landscaping was only just updated this spring. The house has not been updated since this photo was taken. We’re trying to figure out a new roof and exterior paint colors now.

• 29 days ago

This is the update on landscaping

• 29 days ago

I know you said, you do not like brown, but............ the gray roof was the first thing, I noticed when I looked at your picture. It does absolutely nothing for your house. The roof should be a dark brown, and because, you have a lot of variegation in the brick, it should be a solid color, with no variegation in the shingles. Once you have that new roof, it will be easier to decide if it needs painting anywhere, etc. I also agree, no shutters. You could use some small flowering type trees in your front yard. Also a much nicer front door, or at least paint the one you have, a brighter color, and then add a couple pots with flowers that go with that color, so you have some interest by the front door. If there is a way to put some lighting on the front of that entry way, it would be a lot more welcoming. For anything you are considering painting, take a good look at your brick, and pick a color directly from the brick itself. Its the charcoal roof, that is throwing the look of the house off right now.

• 29 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I think your house is lovely. The first thing I’d do is change the front door. Something like these styles would look wonderful:

A new front door would really elevate your curb appeal, and look nice from the inside, too (depending on your interior decor style).

I definitely would not paint the brick accents. Your house has an understated elegance I wouldn’t try to fad up.

Re: the garage doors — consider getting a consultation with a garage door company for ideas. They could show you renderings and examples of styles/colors/material/etc after seeing your house in person.

There are so many trim colors that would look nice with your brick, but again, I’d stay neutral with the choice. Your brick has quite a few colors in it that would work.

How about some potted plants on the porch, as mentioned? Maybe a table between the rockers? A pretty bird bath would look nice in the bed with the Crape Myrtle.

I‘d get a bit larger garage light fixtures for sure. Bronze, ORB, or black would look nice.

I’m surprised none were put on the stone columns at the entrance. Some uplights at the base of the columns would look nice at night, for when you have guests or whatever.

I truly don’t find anything dull about your house at all. (Btw, I’m in D/FW … hi, neighbor.) :)

• 28 days ago

Given the climate and west sun, I would paint the garage doors the chalk color from the stone. And a bright color for the front door.

• 28 days ago

The grey roof was on there when we purchased the house and although we’ve replaced it twice due to hail damage we still chose the same color as before because we had no clue what color to use.
    I agree potted plants etc would be lovely on the porch and I’ve always had them until now. Too many decisions to be made and I chose to ignore it for a while. I’ll take that after everything else for sure.

• 28 days ago

Jilly, thanks for the door and lighting pictures. Any one of those doors would work beautifully. The column and/or up lights would be easy enough to accomplish.
    Thanks, neighbor!

• 28 days ago

The west sun is another issue to contend with besides color conundrum. It’s definitely a killer in this part of the country. ☀️

• 28 days ago

It sure is! We get afternoon sun in the front and it’s brutal. I just hope we don’t have another summer like the last one.

I have my full-sun hell strips planted with very tough perennials that survived it … that shocked me. I did nearly lose a few pots of Mandevillas, though, even ones I moved to the shade (then brought inside).

We’ve all heard of overwintering plants … last year, I had to oversummer some. 😅

• 28 days ago

Have you considered painting just the dark bricks to match the color of the prominent bricks? It wouldn't be a big change but should make the facade look less 80s/90s. I also think an upgraded door would be a good choice.

• 28 days ago

I have considered that! I’ve looked at stain as well as brick tinting. I think it’s a great idea, but my husband thinks otherwise.
    I’m very receptive about keeping things that can be changed!

• PRO
    28 days ago

I selected bronze for your trim.

IMO adding carriage garage doors would go a long way to making your home more charming

The crape myrtle unfortunately has to be removed from the wrong spot

I've added a lantern with mustache brackets to the entrance.

i

• 28 days ago

Jilly,

La Niña is coming. Should be milder then. 💃🏻

• 28 days ago

Beverly,
    Seeing all of those images sure makes a difference. The bronze trim is really, really nice after all and I love the carriage doors (especially the 2nd one), but I’m positive after seeing these photos that brown on the garage doors will not be a good choice for me. I wish I could think they look moody as a good thing, but even with a design pattern they appear too dark overall.
    Also, you are absolutely correct about the crape myrtle! Planted many years ago as a sun blocker and it gets that job done. We think about removing it, but I’ve heard it’s near impossible to to get rid of them.

• PRO
    28 days ago

Just tone the garage door With windows to a deep or mid tone in the brick!

Then?

Ligjts, front door, color at the door!!

Concentrate on pretty, more than being ”different!

That’s what house numbers are for:)

• 28 days ago

Jan’s suggestion for the garage door windows and color would make a big difference. Also love the carriage door suggestion from Beverly.

• 28 days ago

Thanks Jan! That a different approach I hadn’t considered.

• PRO
    28 days ago

The carriage garage doors can be stained light or dark. I just thought the contrast made your home more interesting. It's the fact that your garage doors have no texture whatsoever is an issue on your home. Those blank smooth surfaces don't work with the design of your home.

• 28 days ago

That’s very positive. I absolutely agree!

• PRO
    28 days ago

Your garage doors actually do have a paneled texture. It's the color and lack of windows: )

• 28 days ago

Changing the doors (front door and garage doors) to the right wood color and style will elevate your house. It has a very interesting brick facade and then these boring white (large) garage doors. Beverly and Jilly gave you good starting points. Research doors everywhere and go looking at them in person.

Yes, the crepe myrtle is not helping. But your other new landscaping is wonderful!

Add patterned or colorful seat cushions on the rockers too. Your house is very nice but needs better accessories (read:doors) and it’ll really elevate the look.

• 28 days ago

I will definitely start looking at garage doors. Thanks for your input!