SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cityroamer

Suggestions to cover hurricane impact front door window

S. C.
3 years ago

Hi - I'm struggling to figure out the best way to add privacy to my hurricane impact french front door. I was originally considering installing horizontal wood blinds, but since it's a hurricane impact door (https://www.pgtwindows.com/products/fd101/), I don't know if you're even supposed to do that. I also don't know if outside mounted blinds would even fit considering how close the handle and deadbolt are to the glass. And then it seems like the blinds would be flying around everywhere whenever the door opened.

Then I considered adding window tint. But from what I've read, most tint won't block out the light from the inside after it is dark, so it won't give the privacy I'm looking for that blinds could do. I also didn't find a lot of options for tint that you could buy. GILA seems like the popular brand at the big stores, but it has mixed reviews about it being really thin and tough to apply. If there is a decent tint option that does a good job as a privacy filter, especially for when it gets dark, this would prob be my first option. Frosted tint is another option, but then there's no way I can see clearly out the window myself.

Im curious to see what others who have a similar door to mine have done. This is a townhouse and my neighbors either have nothing at all or tint, but they have no idea what type it is because it was already there when they bought their units. They were the ones that mentioned it doesn't block out everything at night so people can still see inside. Hoping I can get some inspiration from someone else who has already dealt with this same dilemma!

Dimensions (inches):

Door Width 33.75

Door Height 91.25

Window Depth 1/2

Window to Handle 2.25

Window Frame Width 25.75

Window Width 24.5

Window Height 82.25

Comments (2)