SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sar000

Cost for impact windows and sliding doors (quotes from $42k-$91k!)

sar000
6 years ago

I own a house that needs a whole-home renovation, including all new windows and sliding glass doors.

Because of where we are located (FL) they're required to be impact-resistant which adds a little bit, but not exponentially, to the cost.
I wanted black interior/black exterior frames because it's a modern house, but have kind of given up on that because I got even crazier quotes for black/black.

For white interior/white exterior frames, my quotes have ranged from $42,000 installed (product by Custom Window Systems installed by local distributor) up to $91,000 installed (PGT product installed by Home Depot). The in-between quotes were $57k, $82k...

Please help me understand a couple things--

1. Is black/black (they call it "bronze/bronze" but looks almost black to me) supposed to be that much more expensive? My black/black quotes were all the way UP TO OVER $110,000!

2. Now I'm thinking my $42k quote for white/white is what I should go with, but is that even a little high? Any recommendations? Located in Tampa Bay Area.

3. A lot of the cost is added by geometric windows which some have to be custom-sized. Anyone have any luck with having a glass/mirror fabricator rather than a "window" company fabricate an impact window in geometric shapes?

Thank you!! :) Just a little shell-shocked by these estimates--the $42,000 works for my budget, but still seems a little ridiculous. The house is not huge, under 3000 sq ft, but yes it does have a lot of windows.

Comments (16)