SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philipatx

Which of these climbers will tolerate most shade?

philipatx
3 years ago

I am a bad rose dad...

I have, in pots currently, and looking for forever homes, Quicksilver, Florentina, and Perfume Breeze.

The next available trellis, not yet completed, will position its occupant in a... uh... less than desirable setting (though undoubtedly an improvement over the current location, in pots, in triple digit temperature, during a drought, and hence in part shade so I don't wash soil out watering twice daily, which I wouldn't have the discipline to do anyway... Suffice it to say, the plants are slowly dying on me right now, and have been for most of the summer...)

The bottom 4 feet will get primarily indirect sunlight as a hedge runs along the sunniest side of the trellis, while everything above 8 feet will get at least partial shade due to a Muskogee crepe myrtle on the other side. (I will be able to limb-up the tree as it grows, of course, but it will, at the same time, obtain a spreading crown.)

So the ideal response, I realize, is to find something better suited to that site than a rose, but as I say, a rose will have a better shot here than where they are, and they *need* a home!

Oh, and of course, this location gets very little to no supplemental irrigation due to its siting, so a modicum of drought tolerance would likewise be a good thing if any of the three candidates can offer such. (I *believe* they are all own root, but I'm not sure...)

(HMF says Florentina has a modicum of shade tolerance, but I read otherwise here on this forum... (??))

Thanks, in advance, for any insights!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting