SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_170414824

What’s wrong with my bird of paradise? Dark discoloration on leaf

Derek
3 years ago

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and have a question about my 8 month old white bird of paradise that sits directly in front of a west-facing window. I water when the top two inches of soil are dry and use a moisture meter to verify. I also mist two to three times per week. Recently I discovered a spider mite infestation on several leaves. I removed them with a soapy water solution and followed up with two applications of horticultural oil across 7 days. No signs of them since! I also repotted the plant because there was a lot of mold growing on top of the soil and most of the advice I found suggested I repot with new soil. Now, about a week after repotting, I've discovered that one of the larger leaves has a patch of black discoloration that's been growing in size day by day. The same leaf in the area of black spots has turned slightly yellow. So far it's just contained to this one leaf. From what I've found it may be a fungal or bacterial infection, but there isn't much information directly about birds of paradise. I should note that there's also some yellow and brown streaks across several leaves that seem to have appeared at the same time as the spider mite problem. I've attached photos below to help visualize. I appreciate any advice on what could be going on here and any solutions that might mitigate it. Thanks in advance!

Comment