SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

No masks

Kathsgrdn
3 years ago

We now have 95 cases of Covid 19 in the county (that we know of), many more in the surrounding counties. Went to Ace Hardware in my little town and no one was wearing a mask except the girl checking me out and one customer, an older woman who had it pulled off her face in one isle looking at stuff. I guess you can't see if you have that mask on. Every other person who was in there including one employee wasn't wearing one.

Comments (67)

• matthias_lang
    3 years ago

This might be picky but ---let's don't use the word respirator to refer to ventilator. Respirator is a euphemism sometimes used in speaking with families with loved ones in ICU. In the second place, in the non-medical world, respirator is a kind of filter mask worn on the face.

Ventilator

Respirator

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We do have a mask mandate. I don't think the people in charge care. They're getting ready to have a big street festival downtown with bands and food trucks.

• Related Discussions

If masks are required, provide the masks

Q

Comments (40)
    Oregon does not require masks, but the few times I've ventured out I've seen most people are wearing them. My husband has started wearing them as well-he's got a lot of dust masks since his work involves working with fiberglass and concrete. I ordered four masks from a local seamstress, they're pleated and have a pocket and ties rather than elastic, which I prefer since I can't stand having anything around my ears. I've heard there is an elastic shortage in my area. And I recently gave away all the hair ties I had sine I cut my hair short (now almost regretting that since the grow out is fierce!) I've read that the blue shop towels mechanics use are equivalent to N95 masks. We also have an abundance of those, so I slip a folded one in to my mask when I use it. I've found also that the material of the mask is important, one of mine is just a cotton material and it's too scratchy for my face, but the flannel lined one is wonderful, if a little warm after wearing for a few hours. It's fine for quick grocery/Costco runs. Next Door, Facebook Marketplace and Etsy are great resources to find seamstresses who make cloth masks.
    ...See More

My Masking Ear Saver Solution

Q

Comments (14)
    The ear saver that Dr Ebonie Vincent (TLC My Feet are Killing Me) wears, looks like it positions the mask and keeps it good and tight. She's what sent me looking for the ear savers that I posted. I still haven't purchased any. Guess I could be smart like some people and make my own! NICELY done.
    ...See More

Any one find the free masks yet?

Q

Comments (23)
    That is the problem with government give-aways, there are always people out there with their hand out ready to abuse the intention of the program. Gotta watch out for those welfare queens. NB To be perfectly clear, I am not availing myself of free masks because I ordered N95s months ago. I have plenty for my family. It would feel wrong to take from others who might need them more than I do- much the less take masks for a use they were not intended for. Conservatives always carp about government largesse being abused ...
    ...See More

Wearing two KN95 masks at once

Q

Comments (50)
    “Please consider a virtual visit” is more of a suggestion. ”Please reschedule to a virtual visit” would be more of a directive. Anyway just picked up my kids, and they reported on the first day of lifted mandate. Most kids did not wear masks, but some did. The only ones who got any grief, rightfully so, were the under-nosers. My daughter’s math teacher flipped out on one who kept adjusting her mask. ”Why don’t you just take it off?” ”Because I want to stay safe.” ”What are you trying to save, your chin?!” 😂 And my daughter’s ”hallway crush” is no longer a crush. Apparently he’s not as cute as she had imagined him to be, behind his mask.
    ...See More
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

We were out and about quite a bit on Tuesday and I couldn't have been more pleased with the mask compliance everywhere! Everyone had a mask on.

We stopped at the ABC store for our monthly supply of assorted adult beverages and I waited in the car. I was really impressed when a homeless looking person walked up, took a mask out of his pocket and donned it before walking in.

• pekemom
    3 years ago

When I go into the local Walmart here everyone is wearing a mask....of course inside I notice some have their nose showing and some have pulled down their mask to their chin...

• sephia_wa
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I wonder what it's going to take to get past this pandemic? Are we going to go on for years with some of us wearing masks and others mocking them? I'm a mask wearer. I won't go into a business that doesn't enforce wearing them. The local Lowes has a big sign by the entrance saying masks are required. The sign says if you don't have one, you can get one from the customer service counter. But if you don't want to wear one, you don't have to. My neighbor works there, and she told me they've been instructed to offer a mask, and if people refuse, to thank them and carry on. Lowes doesn't want their employees to get into it with customers who aren't wearing masks.

And interestingly, Wuhan, where the virus was discovered, had imposed a 76 day lockdown. They haven't had a case since mid-May.

I don't know what the answer is, but what the U.S is doing isn't working.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

It's rather disturbing to see the postings, and know of his occupation.

I agree. Peer pressure is powerful. Just as certain groups support racism, pressure from other groups support the nutcase anti maskers. One would think that those with advanced degrees and education would have the strength to think for themselves, but sadly that is not , sometimes, the case.

And interestingly, Wuhan, where the virus was discovered, had imposed a 76 day lockdown. They haven't had a case since mid-May.

I would hope that is actually the case. But because of Wuhan's earlier propensity to minimize their problem and say what others wanted to hear, I'm just taking a wait and see attitude.

I think it is hard to get a grasp on the situation because there is so much 'PR' lying going on. The Liar-in-Chief by his own example approved that a little lip service is acceptable and that people's lives come in second when making plans. that's why the first quote, above, nailed it and is so worrisome.

• User
    3 years ago

People on ventilators are sedated. I "get" that the saying is just trying to be cutesy...but people on ventilators are not really conscious. Therefore the whole, "If you don't like the mask, you're going to hate the ventilator" is sort of stupid.

Mask it or casket works nicely on all levels though.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

A mask smears your make-up? Why wear any make-up other than eyes/eyebrows if it's only going to be covered by a mask?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Amylou you rockin it girrl!

Patriceny, people are sedated only if and to the degree that they need. Therefore, some are unsedated and fully alert, others need some sedation to help them cooperate and be calm, others must be fully anesthetized because their lungs are so stiff.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

mandatory in our state, PA!! Wahoo!! we have a smart governer and health secretary who acted pretty quickly with the masks. i think by late March/early April, you could not enter any store w/o one.

signs are on every establishment door.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

"I think it will be until at least this time next year before the no maskers realize how stupid they have been."

Or they'll all be dead.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Elmer, I didn't know they were maskless before I went in--didn't even think about them not wearing masks, but I stayed within four feet of the entry, and didn't stay long. I sanitized my hands (for their benefit) when I got out of my car, where they could see me from the window. I'm sure the office manager/agent would have brought the forms to my car, if I'd had the presence of mind to request it.

• matthias_lang
    3 years ago

sprtphntc7a, I saw a sort of car caravan or parade in Pennsylvania today and very few onlookers were wearing masks. I noticed that law enforcement were wearing them.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Elizabeth, I haven’t worn makeup since March. Not even eyeliner. Fortunately, when I take off my mask in public, I’m with someone who usually sees me without it anyway, like DH.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Not enough Americans are dead yet. When the virus sweeps through the population to the extent that just about everybody knows somebody that was taken by it then the level of danger will start to sink in. In the meantime same as 1918, with medical officials saying what needed to be done and being ignored by large numbers of people. And large unprotected gatherings taking place, contributing significantly to the spread. Because Americans particularly are Rugged Individuals who make their own way in the world, don't need anybody telling them how to live or what to do.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

well, it didn't take long back in 1918 before the public was urged to wear them ...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I found this in the 9/15/1919 copy of the NYT...no mention of masks.

• User
    3 years ago

Here's some perspective for those saying that those not wearing a mask will all die of Covid.

For my state the death rate is 0.008 for the most recent confirmed date. This is an inflated number so in reality it even lower due to non-Covid deaths being lumped in the deaths number. The US death rate for 2018 was 0.0074, statistically identical to the Covid death rate. Your likelihood of dying from Covid is very low and has been getting lower as the statistics have shown. You still have a higher risk of dying from cancer or heart disease this year than from Covid.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Raye Smith...source please.

• User
    3 years ago

Annie - State Corona virus listing/ The rest CDC website

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

As I have posted before dying of Covid should be the least of your worries if/when you have it. It is the lingering damage to your body that you should be concerned about.

Even in 1918 people dismissed the virus especially in areas outside of the major cities. Very similar to now with the idea that rural areas will have few cases. It was not until people in rural areas started dying that it was taken seriously.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Heart disease and cancer currently and might always take more American lives than Covid19, but what is tragic is the number of persons who are not willing to take simple measures proven to slow the virus' spread. It's not like heart disease or cancers where you have to change your diet, your exercise, give up your addiction to tobacco, or trust to luck and genetics to protect you. We KNOW what to do to minimize Covid.

And face it, many of those who are refusing to protect our communities will themselves get off scott free. Life isn't fair, pretending that bad things only happen to bad people isn't a winning strategy.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Here's some perspective for those saying that those not wearing a mask will all die of Covid.

I haven't read that anywhere on Houzz. Maybe you could include a source for that, too.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

This is an inflated number so in reality it even lower due to non-Covid deaths being lumped in the deaths number.

Where is your source for that? It is not true. Also it is not true that someone with more than one positive test is counted for each test - according to my state's DOH website, positives are tracked and repeat tests are matched with previous tests and are not counted.

• User
    3 years ago

Raee - it is true - I know doctors that have been required by their hospital administrators to alter death certificates cause of death to Covid when the patients death was not covid related. In your state they may not be repeat counted test which is good that they aren't but not all states are doing so.

Mama Goose - see above:

"Olychick

"I think it will be until at least this time next year before the no maskers realize how stupid they have been."

Or they'll all be dead."

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I don't think a hyperbolic quip from one person means anyone thinks everyone who refuses to wear a mask will die of covid, even the cited poster--but I will concede the 'source'.

Incidentally, I also don't believe in calling other posters stupid.

• User
    3 years ago

Masks have only been mandatory in my CITY for about 3 weeks. Before that, I did not wear a mask and I didn't care if our customers didn't wear one. Although, I would tell those who did choose to wear one, that they don't work if they only cover their mouth or if it's completely under their chins. The store I work in is in the center of the area of our city with the second highest Covid rates. Most of our staff did not wear a mask. Our cashiers, post office staff and pharmacy staff are all behind Plexiglas. Only floor staff (which include me) was not protected from customers. We just made sure anyone, including customers who wear masks, stayed out of our six foot bubble. I have no qualms telling people to back the h --- up. I also have no qualms to tell people to stop touching items they aren't going to buy. Know what you want. Buy it and leave. My husband and I make a list and know the route of the store we are shopping at. We get what we need, and get out. I wear a mask in all indoor public areas now because I'm forced to. I'm not against them. But I'm not for them either. I social distance. I honestly think that's all we need to do. Wash hands, sanitize hands. Social distance. Stay out of big crowds and stop inviting friends and family over (although my kids are coming over for dinner tomorrow, it'll be in my back yard which is huge, and there's lot of social distancing room available, and it's outside). For the most part, we stay home. We only go into a store if we have to. I have yet to go to a mall. I don't miss the mall at all. I'm not afraid of this virus. But I have two asthmatic kids who I don't want to give it to. I refused to allow them into our home for four months! Our numbers came down and when the city only gets about 25 new cases a day out of 1.4 million people, I don't worry to much. Wearing that mask is not easy when you're running back and fourth on the sales-floor. Or when you're bringing a stack of milk (24 4l jugs) to the sales floor then filling the shelf with them. Wearing one while just casually shopping is easy for me. I wore a hospital grade paper mask for 4 hours in the ER on Tuesday (I injured my ankle when I rolled it: two bone chips), and it was easy peasy. But make me walk all day, doing lifting, pulling, walking, jogging etc., it's harder. And I'm glad I'm in the backroom most of my shift because I pull it off. And if the city comes in and sees me not wearing it, my coffee and snacks are in front of me and all I have to say is, "I'm eating".

• chisue
    3 years ago

Once we get rid of the Chief Denier of Science and Initiator of Chaos in November/January rational science will prevail regarding the virus. Drive out the wedge!

• sephia_wa
    3 years ago

"You still have a higher risk of dying from cancer or heart disease this year than from Covid."

Cancer and heart disease aren't communicable diseases. I'm not going to catch cancer or heart disease from someone else, like I can with Covid. I can do all the right things in life - exercise, eat right, don't smoke, etc, and still get cancer and die.

I can do all the right things in life - exercise, eat right, don't smoke, etc., and then go out and get exposed by an irresponsible person who is carrying the virus, and catch it. I may or may not have long-lasting effects, or I may die.

The argument about cancer and heart disease is so lame. YOU can give me Covid. You can't give me cancer or heart disease. If you behave responsibly, you won't give me Covid. This is why I stay home and avoid crowds. Because of irresponsible people.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

Kathsgrdn, I sure do feel for you. You keep trying to do the right thing but are thwarted at every turn.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Saw this on FB and liked it:

Laura Aydelott

August 17 at 10:25 AM ·

When I wear a mask in public, or decline an invitation to a party or to come inside, I want you to know that:

• I am educated enough to know that I could be asymptomatic and still give you the virus.
    • No, I don’t “live in fear” of the virus; I just want to be part of the solution, not the problem.
    • I don’t feel like the “government is controlling me;” I feel like I’m being a contributing adult to society.
    • The world doesn’t revolve around me. It’s not all about me and my comfort.
    • If we all could live with other people's consideration in mind, this whole world would be a much better place.
    • Wearing a mask doesn’t make me weak, scared, stupid, or even “controlled.” It makes me considerate.

When you think about how you look, how uncomfortable it is, or what others think of you, just imagine someone close to you - a child, a father, a mother, grandparent, aunt, or uncle - choking on a respirator, alone without you or any family member allowed at the bedside.

Ask yourself if it was worth the risk?

Wearing a mask is not political. It’s a public health choice.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Annie, unfortunately our current president and his administration made it political. Went to Walgreens yesterday to pick up a medication and actually went inside for the first time in a long while because they are giving flu shots. First person I see wasn't wearing a mask. Everyone else was, sorta, one woman had it pulled down off her face. Seems like it's hard to have a mask on and look at products on the shelf. I live in a very red county and I'm pretty sure that's why so many aren't wearing them.

Went thru Chick fil A drive thru, young girl giving out food at the window had her mask completely off her nose. I almost told her it should be over her nose, but she had turned away after she nearly flung my food out the window.

• nycefarm
    3 years ago

Maybe the fact that over 170,000 people have died from this isn't so many in the grand scheme, but if it is someone you love or depend on it is tragic, especially if it can be easily avoided by everyone wearing a mask.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

Thank you for pointing out false information, Raee!! This is an important thing to do.

Amy, I love that picture!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Raye, For my state the death rate is 0.008 for the most recent confirmed date: Is that per 100,000 cases, percent of total population or what? If you "know doctors that have been required by their hospital administrators to alter death certificates cause of death to Covid " I would think it would be higher. Just curious because I like to check facts and I don't see any data on the CDC site that gives numbers in the way you did. I may not be looking at the right data sheet.

• woodrose
    3 years ago

Kathsgrdn and I live in the same state, but I have a very different experience. My county is extremely red when it comes to voting, yet most people here wear masks, probably 80%, or more. We have a high amount of cases, but only two deaths, thankfully. One death was an elderly lady at the beginning of the pandemic, and another a few days ago. Here it is the young, mostly liberal people who refuse to wear a mask. My very liberal grandson and his girlfriend even went to Florida on vacation. They went to the beach, ate in restaurants, etc. We were afraid they would bring the virus back with them and give it to us , but it didn't happen.

Honestly, I don't what, or who to believe anymore. I will just continue to stay home as much as I can, wear a mask when I go out, and hope for the best.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Here it is the young, mostly liberal people who refuse to wear a mask."

What nonsense. You ask people for their political views or party registration when you encounter them?

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Also it is not true that someone with more than one positive test is counted for each test

At one point, it was very much true. The CDC lumped both tests together (from states that did not separate the data.)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/cdcs-coronavirus-report-includes-data-that-could-artificially-inflate-testing.html

There may still be states that are lumping the two tests together.

Really though, it is just so much noise because neither test reveals T-cell immunity. You can have cases where someone was asymthomatic, never suspected they had Covid and yet test negative on an antibody test...while having developed T cell immunity.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Haha, this is one of those studies that gives serious studies a bad reputation.

They had to do a study to reach these conclusions? Ask anyone living in an area with low mask usage what they think of others who are noncompliant and you'll get all these findings on the spot.

There's another contributing factor too in my opinion, and maybe this is just my opinion. I think failure to consistently wear a mask when near others or when encounters can be expected, or to think that the issue is a political rather than a health problem, is a sign of below average intelligence. An inability to take simple inputs, consider known alternatives and consequences, and come to obvious conclusions about appropriate conduct. Such mental "challenges" are ones that most children of elementary school age can work through and come to appropriate answers for without difficulty.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Just saw this one today:

And this:

But seriously - something that's been bothering me for some time now is reporting that states the number of positive test results as if it were the total number of infected people. That would only be the case if everyone had been tested, and they haven't. To be accurate & clear, shouldn't reporting say 'number of cases' or 'number of positive results'? Because many people may be infected and not even know it unless they get tested.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I do not understand why it would be more accurate to say it your way when it is the number of cases/positive results. It has nothing to do with the number of people living anywhere. If you want the ratio look at one of the charts beyond the first couple of columns and most will have a ratio of either cases per population or cases per million.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Stats are stats. Some can prefer it one way, others a different way. I'm not sure the methodology or the particular underlying info source being measured is all that important. There are many ways to look at indications of whether illness is present and whether the rate is increasing or decreasing. The people, often of one particular political persuasion (not necessarily carolb) who like to pick away at facts just like the WH occupant does are dupes who are missing or trying to cloud an understanding of the real story.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    3 years ago

One day a week or so ago, they reported fewer than 1000 cases here in SC for the first time in a while. Sounded great. But they also tested a lot less people that day. So I am going by the percentage of positive tests. They mostly mention this on the local news on tv. They didn’t on the local radio station though.

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

This is a good site showing pandemic status at the county level: https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

• User
    3 years ago

1000 a day in one state? Holy cow! All of Canada doesn't do nearly that in a day. But in all fairness, we have 10% the population spread out in a much bigger area. But still: one state 1000 cases?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

To be clear, wording I heard today was something like "X number of Americans now have COVID 19", which struck me as confusing and not strictly true.

And I agree that reporting the percentage of positives out of the number of tests would be much more helpful, but I have a feeling that data is not available nationally - because there isn't really any national effort ongoing. It's all ad hoc and piecemeal.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Came across this scientific article today and thought it appropriate to this discussion. Scientists compared effectiveness of various face coverings - including hands and elbows - when coughing:

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-effectiveness-masks.html

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I saw this on the news today: CDC warns: Don't argue with anti-maskers (hover your icon over the link to see the url--if that doesn't work--https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dont-argue-with-anti-maskers-cdc-warns-stores/ar-BB18mCM8?li=BBnb7Kz)

There are people who will stop to help someone in trouble--a car accident, someone being attacked, someone who has fallen. Then there are people who will drive on by, ignore cries for help, never put themselves out for another human being. I tend to think of anti-maskers in the latter category.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

And I agree that reporting the percentage of positives out of the number of tests would be much more helpful, but I have a feeling that data is not available nationally -

That data is available and very easy to find. Here is one place where it is available:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#testing