SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefox15

In between two paint colors for the kitchen. Opinions welcome!

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My wife and I are repainting our kitchen as it is crappy, builder's grade, flat, ProMar 400 paint--aka, horrible paint for children. We both find the existing color (SW Cachet Cream) too yellow and somewhat harsh (you can see some of it in the pictures below as the entire house is that color). We are looking for a muted color that will blend the honey-oak trim, not accent it. (My wife is very open to a blue, but I'm concerned that we have too much brown in the space to look good for that. We tried SW Balmy, and it seemed eye-wateringly harsh, at least on a small sample.)

Ideally, we are going for something like this photo: A tan/beige that is not too heavy for the space. The problem is that the lighting in the kitchen isn't fantastic, so I am worried about going too dark. For instance, the color in that photo is BM Bleeker Beige (LRV of 52), and we have the strip, but it is much too dark for the room.

The two colors we are currently between are SW Canvas Tan (LRV of 64) and SW Softer Tan (LRV of 60). I like the "lightness" of the Canvas Tan, but I like the color of the Softer Tan. Here are some samples of Canvas Tan that we have painted:

Here is an area we have done in Softer Tan (these pictures make it look a bit darker than it is on the wall for some reason):

Finally, in this picture, you can see the big strip is still Canvas Tan, and that is before we repainted it Softer Tan which is the square in the upper-right corner (directly to the left of Canvas Tan is Steamed Milk, and to the right is Manchester Tan).

So . . . any opinions? My wife thinks that Canvas Tan looks too "gray," but I'm worried that the Softer Tan is too dark, so here we sit, with un-tinted paint and no decisions being made. ^_^ Let us know what we should do!

Comment (1)