SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_cirillo

Help with challenging basement floorplan

Amy Cirillo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The above pic is the challenging floor plan of my basement. I am sorry for the hideous pictures below. We moved in a year ago and I have Marie Kondo'd 5 kids' things as well as mine and my husband's. We are a blended household and I had to completely integrate and organize two households - his with 15 yo triplets; mine with 13 yo twins.

I need to create kind of open and comfy office space for my husband, and the rest of it should be kind of teen and/or adult lounge. It should be trendy/cool and comfy enough to attract teens. The office part shouldn't be walled or closed off with curtains or barn doors or anything, and the desk shouldn't face a wall. The picture above is my poor husband's "office" due to quarantine. There is a dry bar and I would love to rip it and the convection microwave out. He wants to stay in this space. This is the bottom of the floor plan.

The above picture shows how long and narrow the office section is

This is the top section of the floor plan.

Another pic of the top section.

I would love help with:

1. how to set up areas with different purposes.

2. what to do in corners/transition areas between sections

3. how to use wall color/decor to make the space less clunky and cramped.

4. Deciding if I must invest in window wells and enlarging the windows?

5. Deciding if I must invest in changing the ceiling?

Things to know:

The kids aren't there while dad works

There are egresses

There are two large lovely living rooms the kids use as hangouts now, but there is never enough privacy and space for teens

I don't need to keep anything that you see in these pictures at all. Maybe the light green/grey couch, but maybe not.

I definitely want to take out the dry bar and microwave

Any help will be sooo appreciated! Thanks!!!!

Amy

Comments (21)