SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy_correll

What would you do with this rock garden against front of house?

Denverish Z6A
3 years ago

Hi! When we bought this house nearly 3 years ago, there were some baby weigelas and golden vicary privets planted in this rock garden of sorts up against the foundation of the front of the house. After a year in the house, the shrubs were pretty sad and not growing, so we relocated them to the backyard where they are living their best lives. Now, what should we do with this rock garden of sorts — and the rest of the landscaping — our East-facing front yard? We are located just outside of Denver in Zone 6A at about 5,400 feet.

The bed is a mashup of clay, sand, rocks and rubble, and is fast-draining. I am sure it was meant to be some sort of rock garden, but would rock garden plants really thrive in an East-facing yard under a mature honey locust? And would that work aesthetically? Could I pick out all the rubble and rocks, amend the soil, and expand the bed along with the narrow one along the porch?

At some point, we would love to replace the grass with less thirsty plantings, but again, I am not sure what would work under the trees and the grass is doing well considering our climate (with irrigation.) In addition to the thornless honey locust on the right, we have a silver maple in the middle and a beautiful catalpa tree to the left of the driveway.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (25)