SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corey_prescott

Remove chimney and move electrical, or design around them?

Corey
3 years ago

I had great response from my first question, and it sent me back to the drawing board. Now, more questions!

The first picture is the current floor plan. In the bathroom, we are looking to incorporate a closet into the bathroom's sqft, but there is a RAG and non-functioning chimney that are in the way. The other space is currently an awkward hallway and a long, skinny laundry room. It was originally a bedroom and we would like to return it to a bedroom by taking down the interior wall dividing the hallway and the laundry room. The problem is that a small electrical panel was placed in this wall.

Our primary goal for these rooms is better use of space in an economical way. The second picture is a design that avoids the cost of removing the chimney and moving the electrical box, but it makes some compromises to do so.

This is only one part of a bigger renovation, so we need to keep the budget on these rooms in check. Would our money be better spent working around these things, or are the compromises so severe that we should we consider the cost of removing the chimney and/or moving the electrical panel?

Comments (7)