SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thewolfslair

Batts insulation over closed cell spray foam

thewolfslair
3 years ago

hi, I have a new construction lake cottage in the northeast that we did all steal pole style construction with and elevated flooring system. soon after the building was up we had the inside sprayed with closed cell foam with 2" on the walls and 3" on the roof. the foam guys had to come back to fix a couple spots and probably over sprayed most of the cavities so I should actually have extra foam everywhere. we did this to create a sealed building for moisture and animals/rodents. over a year later and we've had no issues with either. this has been a slow build that I've been doing most of the work on myself. all the electric is in and I now have the okay to start closing up the walls but I am debating with myself if it is worth adding Batts to the exterior wall cavities. this is a summer use lake cottage. I've been told by my code officer that it would be a waste to add the Batts over the foam especially since it is a sealed building. the exterior walls are 2x6 studded so I figured I could get some r11 or R15 for 2x4 walls and fit it in the cavities to really insulate the building well, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money if my code guy is right. I've read conflicting information online, so help from those with direct experience would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH