Anglophilia

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Suzanne Chandler Robinett Brown

Suzanne Chandler Robinett Brown died at home surrounded by her family on July 28, 2020 in Louisville, KY. Suzanne, daughter of Hayden Maurice and Anne Mae Chandler Robinett, grew up in Topeka, Kansas and graduated from Topeka High School. She later attended Washburn University in Topeka as well as The Tobé-Coburn School in New York City.

Suzanne spent many years in St. Louis, where her children were born and she met her second husband, Morgan Scott Brown. Other stops included a brief time in Los Angeles and then Louisville for the last 36 years. The other special place in her life was Edgartown, MA on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Introduced to the island in 1978, it became a destination for Suzanne and her family almost every summer.

She also loved interior decorating. She poured her heart and soul into her house and was justifiably proud of those efforts. Her beautiful garden that she and Morgan painstakingly grew for over 30 years created a lovely oasis for her family. She loved her many dogs, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, over the years. In recent years, they and her grandchildren were her priority and joy.

Suzanne is survived by her children, John R. Bradbury, Jr, of Darien, CT, and Sarah B. Robbins (Keith) of Louisville, KY. She leaves four grandchildren: Henry W. Robbins and William C. Robbins of Louisville, and John R. Bradbury, III and Lily S. Bradbury of Darien. She was predeceased by her loving husband, Morgan S. Brown, in 2005. They will all miss her very much.

She was a long time parishioner of St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church in Louisville. A memorial service will be held at St. Francis at a future date, and she will be interred with Morgan at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church in Bedford, New York. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made in her memory to St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church.

NB Anglophilia's given name was never hidden. It, along with her home phone number, was on her Houzz Pro profile. I had a bad feeling about her absence and Googled.

SaveComment75Like3
Comments (75)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Her voice, and goodwill will be sorely missed here. My most sincere condolences to her beloved family.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

So sad. Thanks for letting us know

1 Like Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
Chi

Very sad. I hope her passing was peaceful. It seemed she was really struggling these last few months.

Elmer J Fudd

Thanks for the sleuthing, zalco.

Her decline and eventual absence from participating here were noted by many, I suspect. Her views were resolute and not always predictable, a sign of having given sincere thought to the issues and the matters in the world around her.

One of the pieces I found mentioned that her nickname was Tenacity, that put a smile on my face. Condolences and best wishes to her family.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
sealavender

So sorry to read this. She will be missed.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Yes, Elmer, Tenacity was a great moniker for her.

Save    
Uptown Gal

I will miss her posts. RIP dear Lady. Prayers for comfort for her family.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
shopping101

So sorry to hear. I enjoyed her posts very much. Condolences to her family and friends.

marylmi

So sorry to hear this.

glenda_al

So sorry!

cooper8828

I'm sorry to hear this and send my condolences to her family.

happy2b…gw

This brought tears to my eyes. She was lovely participant on the forums. I think Elmer description captures her spirit and describes her well, sincere but not predictable, tenacious. She expressed a great love for her family and grandchildren. May she rest in peace.

whistle_b

So sad, but what a wonderful life she had. I always enjoyed her posts. Love to her family. She will be missed.

wildchild2x2

So sorry to hear this.

Lukki Irish

This is really sad news and yes, she is already missed. Thank you for posting about her...I’m sure she appreciates it too!

adellabedella_usa

I'm sorry to hear this. She will be missed.

rockypointdog

I'm sorry to hear this. Thank you for letting us know.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I am going to miss her contributions here. She was having a hard time these past few months. Her breathing problems were extreme. She is at peace breathing easy.

My deepest sympathy for her family. 🙏🌹💕

bpath

I’m so saddened by this news. I have tears. I always enjoyed her posts, and I know I’d have enjoyed her in real life. Thank you for sharing.

Winter

She was a classy lady and I enjoyed her contributions to the Table. RIP dear Mrs. Brown aka Anglophilia. You are missed.

salonva

I am so sorry to read this, but thank you for posting it. She will be missed.

matti5

I am very sorry to hear this. I've always enjoyed her posts and yes, Tenacity was a great moniker. We will miss you Anglophilia!

schoolhouse_gwagain

Oh no. As soon as I saw the subject title, I had a sinking feeling. Very, very sorry to hear this. Yes, we will miss you.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Zalco/bring back Sophie!
graywings123

Thank you for sleuthing this, Zalco. Anglophilia aka Mrs. Brown was a strong presence on this forum. I remember her recollections about her younger days and the clothing she wore. She will be missed.

amylou321

I am sad to hear this. I feel for her family. She will be missed.

blubird

Sad news; her voice will be sorely missed. Condolences to her family as well as her beloved dogs.

Suzieque

Oh my. When I saw the title of this post I said “oh no”. An interesting and bright woman, for sure. Thank you for posting. A shadow on the Table for sure.

anneliese32

I am so sorry. I always enjoyed her posts. RIP Anglophilia.

DawnInCal

It makes me sad to read this news. I knew she was very ill, but I held on to hope that she'd be able to get better and re-join the table. Her posts were always interesting and well thought out and I am going to miss seeing her thoughts posted here.

My condolences to her family.

Texas_Gem

I was worried this would happen. I'm glad to read she was able to pass at home and not in a hospital/hospice setting. I know how much she always said she wanted to stay at home.

Sad day for her family.

Kathsgrdn

I'm sad to hear this. Thanks Zalco for posting the information.

maire_cate

Thank you so much for letting us know. She will be missed by so many here for her convictions, opinions and unique voice.

ghostlyvision

I'm so sorry to see this, I always admired her spirit, the nickname Tenacity suits her so well. Rest in peace, dear lady.

blfenton

I will miss seeing her name on a post and her presence through her remarks.

I am so sorry.

lily316

I haven't been here for a few months so I didn't realize she hadn't posted recently. I knew she had breathing difficulties and am sad to hear of her passing. Condolences to her family.

Jasdip

Thanks for looking and finding this, Zalco. I know the past few posts have mentioned the decline in her health. I'm so sorry to read this. Condolences to her family.

OutsidePlaying

This is very sad to hear indeed. She was such a lovely person and one about whom you can say ‘a life well-lived’. I corresponded with her privately a few times and she was so gracious and interesting. She did struggle with her health recently so I hope she passed in peace.

Thank you, Zalco for informing us.

yeonassky

I had been thinking of her often over the last several days. I am saddened that I won't hear her voice in writing anymore.

RIP Anglophilia. You will be missed.

kathyg_in_mi

So sorry to hear this. A sad day for sure.

katlan

We have lost another valued member. I also hope she didn't suffer. My sympathies to her family and friends. Good-bye Anglophilia, you will be missed. God bless her soul.

nickel_kg

Anglophilia always reminded me of Bertie Wooster's Aunt Dahlia -- his good and deserving aunt. She had such a forthright and hearty, and slightly old-fashioned, manner of telling a story. I should have told her that, it would have made her laugh.

Sincerest condolences to her family. She will be long remembered and deeply missed.

sushipup1

Oh, dear, I am so sorry to hear this. She was wonderful.

ded_tired

Rest easy, Anglophilia. You will be missed here.

Martha Scott

When I saw the title, I was afraid that this was what it was going to be -- NOT someone asking about her. So sad -- and I will miss her.

kadefol

So sorry to read this, she will be missed. Her stories about NYC in the "olden days" were very interesting. And I still recall her account of seeing the Queen of England during a royal visit to Lexington, and getting the royal wave when the Queen noticed Anglophilia's King Charles Spaniel.

marilyn_c

I've been worried about her, too. So sad to read this. I enjoyed her posts.

Fun2BHere

I'm sorry to hear this. I enjoyed many of her posts, especially when the discussion revolved around china and linens. I'll miss her contributions.

sjerin

I had a funny feeling today--was thinking of her while reading this morning, and realizing it had been a long time since we "saw" her. My condolences to her family, whom it appeared she loved dearly.

mama goose_gw zn6OH

I hadn't realized she wasn't posting, but now, of course I realize I haven't read one of her posts in awhile. I recall when she first started posting, as she was planning her kitchen remodel. She was so happy with her Ikea cart, she recommended it highly and often. :)

Rest in peace, Anglophilia.

mama goose_gw zn6OH

Zalco, would it be possible for you to tag this thread for the Kitchens forum? I'm sure there are folks there who will remember Anglo.

Annie Deighnaugh

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Sending thoughts of comfort and condolence to her family.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Mama goose, yes, I will post over to Kitchen Forum first thing in the morning.

Save    
colleenoz

Could you also post it to the Cooking Forum please ? She posted there from time to time and I’m sure the regulars will miss her as well.

Like others, the title of this thread gave me a sinking feeling. I will miss Miss Tenacity and her forthright style. Condolences to her family and friends.

Mrs. S

Oh, I'm so sad and will miss her so much.

artemis_ma

Zalco, thank you for finding out and informing us. She was a lovely lady with a great presence on this site.

Summer

She was a classy lady with a wonderful ability to tell stories. I always enjoyed her posts and looked forward to more.

My condolences to her family and friends.

rob333 (zone 7a)

I'm sorry to hear this. My best to her friends and family

Marilyn_Sue

I am very sorry to hear this.

Sue

eld6161

My heartfelt condolences.

carabubble

This makes me sad. Thank you, Zalco, for thinking of her, looking for her, and sharing with us.

Thoughts and prayers for her family and pets.

Anglophilia enriched our discussions. Do we still have “the chairs” for those who are no longer with us?

maddielee

I’m sorry to read this. May she Rest In Peace.

Thank you Zalco.

georgysmom2

Thank you for your sleuthing Zalco. The last few months had been such a struggle for Anglophilia. Sad as we all are, she's at peace now.

chisue

I was relieved when our KT friend was able to go *home* -- something possible thanks to the care of her grandson and other family members. We should all be as fortunate -- to have loving family in our lives, a joy and comfort to the end. I'll miss our brave self-styled "Anglophile" . It was a pleasure to count her among our friends at the table.

woodrose

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. I, too, had a sinking feeling when I saw the title of this thread. My deepest, heartfelt sympathy and condolences to her family. We will remember her fondly, and her chair at the Kitchen Table will forever remain empty.

Alisande

I was hoping the title was just a shout-out to see how she was doing. I'm sorry to read this.

stacey_mb

Thank you for letting us know about Anglophilia, Zalco, although it's such sad news. She had such an interesting and vivid personality and her absence leaves a huge hole in KT. Sympathies to the family.

Sherry

I always loved her posts and her house. Her kitchen was the best and my ideal kitchen. She also had the same idea I had about holiday dinners.

sephia_wa

I found her obituary on Legacy.com

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/louisville/obituary.aspx?n=suzanne-chandler-robinett-brown&pid=196562434

There's a "guest book" for people to post condolences. I see she belonged to a King Charles Cavalier group, and several people who'd never met her in person have posted comments.

In case any of you would like to post something...

amicus

So sorry to hear this, Anglophilia will be dearly missed! I refer to you all, (to my family and friends IRL) as my 'forum friends' and while we may not always agree with everyone's personal opinion, I think we all appreciate the virtual camaraderie and sharing of unique experiences here. I'm happy that Anglophilia is no longer struggling with poor health, and hope her family finds comfort, in all their memories with her.

Rusty

Deepest sympathies to the family.

Rusty

sleeperblues

So sorry, I will miss her

Hot Rod

Oh my. I gasped audibly when I read this. I'll miss her strong opinions.

Save    
Elizabeth

I don't know if her family reads this forum or not, but if they do I hope they know how valued and respected she was here. She was smart, witty and sometimes of strong opinion but a wonderful lady. I am sure she will be deeply missed by her loved ones.

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

Elizabeth, leave a message for her family at the link I provided. Then they'll know your thoughts.

Save    
PattiG(rose)

My condolences to her family, she will be missed on this forum.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Transitional Homes Houzz Tour: New Comforts in the Cotswolds
An elegant renovation brings contemporary color and other updates to a historic Arts and Crafts home
Full Story
Halloween Would You Live in a Haunted House?
Readers chime in on buying a spooky home and share their unexplained experiences living in one
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: A Bolt of British Charm in Brooklyn
A highly decorated New York row house takes its cues from the English countryside
Full Story