SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

Retry- Approaching School Year 2020

happy2b…gw
3 years ago

As a new school year is approaching, many are grappling with school related decisions. Even with the all the outlets reporting news, it is often not so easy to see outside our own area. One of the wonderful aspects of this forum is that we come from many locales and backgrounds. Our sharing provides an interesting perspective and learning opportunity. My intention is not to initiate a debate about whether or not or how schools should handle the eduction of students this year, so please contribute to the discussion as it pertains to the following questions.

Some background about my state: My state has less than 5% positivity but this can change for better or worse, I guess. The state left the mode of opening to the discretion of the local public school districts. In my state, local public school districts are organized by county, so each county has one school district.

What model of instruction has the public schools in your area chosen? Generally I see 3 models of instruction: in person, hybrid which is some in person and online instruction, or all online, but share what your schools are offering especially if it is something different.

Here most opted to begin school with only online instruction and move to hybrid gradually. A minority, but these are the larger districts, plan all online the entire first semester which closes at the end of January.

Has the local or state government in your area advised public and private schools on opening school?

Here the health department issued protocols for all schools to follow- public and private for safe in person instruction.

In your area, what are the plans of the private schools for the new school year?

Private schools across the state are offering hybrid instruction, but a few that have the space to accommodate all the students safely plan to provide only in person.

Other than providing guidelines about healthy safe practices, has your state or local government restricted the opening of the private, independent, and church schools?

Here at least one district has ordered all private, independent, and church schools to offer only online instruction until reevaluation in several weeks.

Edited to add: All the schools will allow parents to opt into online/virtual instruction only if they do not want to send their kids to the school building.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!