SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

March 2020, Week 2, Spring Has Sprung!

I hope you all agree that Spring is here, more or less, and we can focus less on winter now, even though we need to watch for late freezes and late frosts for a few more weeks.

The March winds are ramping up, and parts of western OK and the OK panhandle had Red Flag Fire Warnings yesterday. I mention this every year when it happens, partly to remind y'all to watch for smoke and fire in your areas, but also to remind everyone that the same strong winds that are a part of Red Flag Fire Warning conditions also can be very hard on small plants, so be sure to protect your plants from the winds on those days. We got paged to a pretty rowdy fire yesterday, but were out of town for Lillie's birthday party so the other departments had to fight it without us. I was sort of glad we were gone, though I could tell Tim was antsy once the fire popped up on our phone apps and he would have preferred rushing home to go to the fire, but he knew I wasn't even going to let him do that. (grin) Grandkids come first over fires, and that reminds me, we ought to buy kites to fly with the grandkids now that March has arrived.

March garden chores are the ones we enjoy, are they not? Planting, pruning, mulching, putting up cages, stakes, trellises, etc. Filling up containers with fresh soil-less mixes, or topping off what already is in the containers before we plant into them. Potting up indoor seedlings. Sowing seeds directly outdoors. Watching seedlings sprout. We are approaching the end of the cool-season planting season, and the beginning of the warm-season planting season. Have fun accordingly.

Has anyone mowed yet? We have not mowed the front yard because it is so full of dandelions, henbit and spring beauties that the bees and butterflies enjoy, but the time is coming when we are going to have to mow just because the wildflowers (yes, some folks would call them weeds, but not I) are getting so tall and the weather is almost warm enough to worry about being able to see snakes.

In light of the coronavirus situation and the fact that we think supply change disruptions might encourage more people to garden, remember to stock up on all the garden supplies you need now before they sell out. This includes seeds and organic fertilizers, both of which completely sold out (even online) and were almost impossible to find in 2008, which is when we had a big explosion in new gardens caused by the economic downturn. I have a three-year supply of seeds on hand now, fresh seeds purchased this year, to ensure that any sort of supply chain disruption or extra buying of seeds by new gardeners doesn't interfere in my gardening plans for this year and beyond. Remember to invest in open-pollinated seeds, so you can save seeds for future years too.

Our plums are about finished blooming and are leafing out now. Our peaches are maybe a week behind the plums. The holly shrubs are about to bloom, so most trees and shrubs here remain about 2-4 weeks ahead of schedule. That made me wonder what the spring leaf-out map looks like, so here it is:

Spring Leaf Index Map

More rain is in the forecast for this week. Of course it is. Here's the 7-day QPF:

7-Day Qualitative Precipitation Forecast

It goes without saying that we still have standing puddles from the last rainfall and don't need more, but I'm sure we'll get more anyway. I wish the rest of you who need rain could have some of mine and Larry's rainfall, because we have had too much this year.

Have a great week everybody, and be sure to let us know what you're doing in your gardens this week.

Dawn

Comments (98)