Uncharted territory - behind the fridge

schoolhouse_gwagain

I had to do it, do it today before I put it off again. Moved the fridge from the wall to wipe down the baseboard, sweep the floor, sweep the coils......my favorite thing to do. What treasures I find. ugh. Actually not so bad this time, only a few dry cat food morsels and fluffs of cat hair amid the dust. I expected worse.

I love the color of my kitchen walls and baseboards, a creamy white, but sooner or later it's time to break out the Pinesol and a rag and spend a half hour bent over the baseboards. How do they get so dirty?? I saw a tool in a catalog once that was like a mop only the head was in a shape that made cleaning the baseboards easier - so they say. Anyone have one?

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

Cleaning baseboards is a pain in my knees. I have a vacuum attachment that allows me to keep them dusted, but as you said, at some point, they have to be washed. I've never found an easy way to wash them.

Save    
bpath

The other day the coffee carafe broke, 3/4 full of coffee. That was my incentive to move the refrigerator and clean under and behind. Coffee, dust, cat hair, and two BBs (don’t ask), so not too bad. Our refrigerator is at the end of the cabinet run with nothing on the other side, so I keep my kitchen broom behind it. Handy! But it means that a lot of dust falls off the bottom of the broom. I do use the broom to sweep the top of the baseboard, but it still gets grimy, so I would love to know about that tool, schoolhouse! (Maybe for behind the washer and dryer, too. Ugh!)

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

This may have been it. I don't remember seeing it on TV, I thought I saw it in a catalog.
Baseboard Buddy

Save    
arcy_gw

The up side of stained wood I guess. I hit mine when I mop, they do not look dingy or dirty...I pulled out my 'fridge to paint last month. Next try the stove...the crack between it and the cupboard no matter how tight things seems to drip....

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Refrigerators have a back?

11 Likes Save    
morz8

My uncharted territory is my dryer. It vents into the floor. The washer has to be moved first in order to get hands in the right places around built-in cabinets to move the dryer out and any time I ask DH for help, he finds a reason not to. I'd been wanting to paint the laundry room for ages. Someone had painted a very odd shade of gray that could be blue or lavender depending on time of day when the entire house inside and out is warmer - dark brown, malt, tan, off whites. I solved it, I bought a new washer and dryer this month, painted in between taking one set out and installing the new ;0) Nothing too surprising under or behind the dryer, I had thought it would be worse.

3 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We had a topic about cleaning baseboards a few years ago. I had posted a picture of a broom that was angled to fit baseboards. Every once in a while I have my house cleaner do random stuff like that.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by schoolhouse_gwagain
roxanna7

arcy -- Amazon carries a set of covers for that gap between the stove and counter. They are great!

Save    
bpath

Morz, I’m with you on the uncharted territory behind the dryer. Hooking our vent duct back up is its own project.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Roxanna that is where my kitchen gets the dirtiest. I pulled out my fridge and stove this year. It had been probably 2 years since I had done it. Feels good to know it is clean even no one sees it but me!

1 Like Save    
socks

It is satisfying to get under appliances to clean, and I don't mind the cleaning work at all, it's the getting them moved out that's hard. My stove has not been moved in a long, long time. Refrig is new so it should be ok for now, but the washer and dryer are bad. I go under them with a flat, fabric "thingy" from Amazon.

Save    
Fun2BHere

I actually have a handyman clean the dryer vent every year or two. I can clean under and behind the washer/dryer with no problem, but I can't get the metal vent tube reconnected so I let him disconnect and reconnect it and clean it out. Luckily, I have a very short run for the vent through the wall to the outside.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I also have an appliance repairman come to clean out the vent from the dryer to the outside probably every two years or so. It's never very dirty, but I do it for peace of mind.

My old fridge had small wheels, this newer one doesn't so it's a little harder to push and shove it out and back into place. It's a free standing one, no cabinets surround it, except it abuts the sink cabinet. And that small space between the sink and the fridge gets the grimiest!

Save    
tami_ohio

Mora8, maybe if you remind your DH that many house fires are started by clogged dryer vents, he would be more inclined to not find something else to do when you ask him to help move the washer and dryer so you can get to it!

As to moving my fridge to clean behind it, I have to get my son, or one of the grandsons to move it for me. No way I can move it. Same for the stove.

Save    
morz8

About cleaning dryer vents...As above, my dryer vents into the floor at an inside wall. The venting runs under the laundry room to outside at the edge of patio in back....maybe 12'+. When we first bought this house, I was noticing the utility closet (venting runs under it) in the laundry smelled 'steamy' to me when I'd dried clothes. Not moldy, but moist and warm if that's a scent.

I had the HVAC guy here doing a well furnace check up and asked him if he could run new dryer vent and he said not his favorite job but that he would. He replaced the 1955 patched together (and more than one material) venting with a straight shot of level seamless stainless. And charged me a small fortune! DH can remove the ground grate outside and clean from there, and he does regularly.

But the HVAC man showed me one length of what he'd removed. A mouse couldn't have made its way through, it was that clogged with decades of lint.

My brother in Portland has his dryer vents cleaned professionally annually (laundry in the middle of the house). The man charges him next to nothing. He asked him how he could make appointments and do that work for so little money and was told by the cleaner that he'd lost his sister in a house fire caused by a dryer years earlier. And that it was a service he performed in her memory.

4 Likes Save    
tami_ohio

Wow! You were very lucky, and probably worth every penny of the fortune he charged you, so you would be safe. I am so glad your DH has easy access now, and you don't have to worry. It's great that your brother has someone who will do it for a small fee, but sad that the cleaner lost his sister to a fire caused by dryer lint.

Save    
morz8

tami, I was lucky. This house had been so well maintained over the years without the steamy closet I might never have looked into it. My HVAC man also belongs to a volunteer fire department. He came out with that length of venting that was so clogged with eyes big as saucers, very upset.

Save    
1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

Thanks, @kittywhiskers, for the link. That looks like a useful product.

1 Like Save    
tami_ohio

Morz8, yes, you were VERY lucky. No wonder his eyes were as big as saucers, and upset!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Art Art in Motion: The Story Behind Mobiles
Mobiles started as wind chimes, and Calder put them on the map as an art form. Here's what they are and where they're going now
Full Story
Fun Houzz 9 Places for the TV We Haven't Seen — Yet
Tube watching ventures into uncharted territory. How far would you go in your own home?
Full Story
Bedrooms Bedtime Stories: Dream Big With a Creative Headboard
You can wake up your bedroom design with a headboard made from a repurposed or unusual object: shutters, a wood slab, a fireplace surround
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More