SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gina_s91

Lake Condo -- Open dining and living room

Gina S
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've made some decisions. I am going to paint the condo in BM White Dove. I am going to have eggshell on the walls, semi-gloss on the trim and doors, and flat on the ceiling. The dining room table is lighter than what is shown. The white sofa is not that exact one. Both of these items were special ordered so I do not have pictures. I am going to start with this and add pillows, throws, baskets after I get this put in place. The map picture is custom. I will have it painted the color in the rug and art. The background will be the same as the table below it. I have more plants. I'll need more art and things to put on the tables and around the space.

More accurate photo of the rug with white dove. This is the wood for the tabletop. The wood is sitting on the sofa sample.

Comments (73)

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, no rug. The carpet is a neutral Berber. If I decide I need color I will add it later. Is this more appealing? More airy and beachy?

• claire larece
    3 years ago

I would stay with white dove.

Gina S thanked claire larece
  • Related Discussions

new flooring in open plan living room dining room hall with pale grey

Q

Comments (3)
    try and post a few from diff areas so we can get an overall look. post the name and a good shot of the wall color. and post any pics that the new flooring will transition to the flooring you want to keep. that way we can see what we have to match.
    ...See More

Paint choices??Living room, Dining room, kitchen open floor pan.

Q

Comments (4)
    To have the best flow and harmony, paint everything one color. Isn't having one space the reason you opend up the space? Do coordinate the new color with your fireplace and floor in the warm direction. A color consultant could really help you tie together your furnishings with your visible "givens," fireplace, floors, big sofa. A warm white would work beautifully in your living area and kitchen. Some of the pros can make suggestions. Could you take some photos in daylight standing with your back to the French doors?
    ...See More

Paint for my open living room,dining room and kitchen

Q

Comments (0)
    So we have We have an open living room and kitchen and now we need to pay it off of him trying to transpire everything for the house we have a beautiful room is done and then we have in the end of the house office that needs to be painted also and we just stumbling with the colors we have like a rustic Arizona feeling luck and we wanna pop in my living room area and we have a lot of windows and door so we don’t want to do like a accent wall I am just so overwhelmed bathroom is done like a spa with marble floor we are happy,now We need to come with transition from walking in into the living room dining room kitchen and office color scheme our floors is oak wood and the pool and kitchen cabinet are cherry wood please help thank you
    ...See More

Living room & dining room - open plan floor

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO wait until you are in the space before buying anything Take some pics of the space and the sofa post a to scale floor plan and then you will get some real help.As for TV check out Besta from IKea make sure the unit is low enough so the middle of the TV screen is at eyelevel when you are seated if you have the space you can but this system and its pieces together to get a real custom look. BTW I love the Eames chir and ottoman with that style and color of sofa
    ...See More
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Yes, the different lines on the sofa make a huge difference. Also, the neutral rug is good. The chairs are iffy, but if you really love them, adding a pillow on each chair could possibly help them to work.

Most importantly, though - when ’You’ look at the board, can you see and feel the difference? Do you like it?

Gina S thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Is that a rug - or Berber carpeting? Do you have wood flooring?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Have you posted a pic of the condo, itself?

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1 I have Berber carpeting. I just added it to the board by using a rug online to see how it looked.

I'll post some pictures here in a moment. Do you prefer empty room pictures or how the prior owners had it?

This is the table that will be in the dining area. it is 68" wide 14" deep and 36" wide.

This map can be any color I want and any type of wood and size.

I've asked the artist to use the colors from above and use the wood color and texture of the side table.

I think the width should be 55" but I am not sure how high it should be. Good?

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It appears my photos did not post. Trying again. Apologies if there are two posts.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Art is a personal thing, so go with what you like. If you are hanging painting over sofa, 55” width should be good for most regular sized sofas.

Pictures of condo both with previous owners‘ setup, as well as empty could be helpful.

I think you’re on a good course with sofa adjustment - if that works ok for you. The sofa is the main piece in the furniture grouping, so it really does carry a lot of weight, and often sets the tone for the space.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Ok... I just saw your pics. It’s a nice place.

Colors are not always reliable online, what color are the walls?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

If the carpet is staying - I would not do White Dove.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really do not know what color it is. In some pictures it is gray and others it is taupe. I really like the color. I feel like nothing is coming together. I'm tempted to leave the walls and not try to do anything coastal.

The first picture is from another sale and I really liked the furniture placement. The previous owner had the tv above the fireplace and I didn't like it.

The 2nd photo is the previous owners.

@freedomplace1 which paint would you choose??

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You could layer a rug for some texture.

https://www.roomvo.com/share/7qkpuy

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You could add a pillow on chairs.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You could really work with the paint that is there. You have wood elements already in the space. Plus the carpet looks sort of beige/tan - at least on my monitor; and with the grey/taupe walls it sort of fits with the shore nature palette.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

This is what I mean by the shore nature palette(s) - some examples:

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I am going to do that @freedomplace1

I'm glad to hear that. I like the color. It isn't as dark as it looks on the monitor.

I canceled the sofa and rug. The dining table doesn't come in that color. One thing I have run into is a huge shortage of furniture. Their warehouses are 25% full.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Many folks just think coastal is light and bright and lots of light blues with some coral thrown in; and that works. But there is a range, and the beach/shore nature palette is not that limited.

For example, this is also coastal.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The current wall color works with the carpet and space. So if you like the color, it can definitely work. May just be the easiest thing.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

THANK YOU!! You are helping me so much @freedomplace1

Ok, looking at your color Pallett I think I can go back to this sofa. I feel like the sofa coordinates with the kitchen cabinets. It is on your color pallet above. But, maybe I am trying too hard to make it work? I put the current carpet in the background. I am not buying this rug anymore but using it for reference.

Edited to add your color references:

• HU-161159613
    3 years ago

follow

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The lines on the sofa are good. It could work in the space and with your other pieces.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Late to the game, but curious as to your reason for wanting all leather furniture? Maybe I missed that in the thread. My understanding is that you have the 2 leather chairs already (are the light gray?), is that correct? Is your lake condo in the mountains or inland? Then, I think the brown, darker tan tones would work well-- almost like a lake cabin feel but modern. If you are more on the coast on a lake, then the blues/creams make more sense (to me). I like the lines of the brown leather sofa better than all the other ones. Maybe a saddle or camel color if you are sticking with leather? I've seen some nice throw pillows on Etsy that combine linen/cotton ivory/cream pillows with a stripe of camel leather + blue or green etc

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, please show me those pillows @Gcubed

The reason for all leather? None. It started with the chairs. They're so comfortable and smaller in scale. I am open to having fabric on the sofa. The reason for the darker couch that I just swapped out is that I love the color and shape. It works really well with the board @freedomplace1 showed me. So, I thought I would try it on the board and see how it looked.

BUT this is my view.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Attaching some pics. Nice view! If you choose leather, I’d go even more streamlined in a camel. I prefer brown as leather vs fabric so if you choose fabric, I’d pick a durable ivory/cream or a texture one with some mix of light shades. What color are the recliners? Their shape is more contemporary it seems

ETA: a sofa like the one Freedomplace1 posted last!

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

Oops! Here are the pillows

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Those pillows tie together to two colors of the chairs and sofa. I feel good about where this has come. I just want to make sure -- do you call the sofas that @freedomplace1 and I have posted to be "camel"? I just want to be sure that I am following your advice.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I'm not exact sure of color name- camel? saddle? Look online to confirm leather colors. Your chairs look light gray in the mood board-- just want to make sure because not sure if the pillow will work if that's the case (though I am sure you can find something similar)

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • claire larece
    3 years ago

I’m at a lost here are we going for a Scandinavian look or beachy? What the previous owners probably had on the wall was mindful gray. Nice view by the way.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The chairs have a grey tint when next to white.

Yeah, @Gcubed then we are talking about the same sofa color then. I just wanted to make sure.

@claire larece I think I have accidentally arrived at a style. I just researched the Scandinavian look it it has a lot of these elements. LOL. And, I am from Norway. :)

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmmm. With the exception of red ... I like this.

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Wow! Your up late

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

6 PM here @claire larece

I'm only from Norway but do not live there. I wish I did. It is beautiful.

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Oh ok well good look with your design

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Because of the problem with ordering the table the designer hasn't placed the order yet. I am probably going to need to regroup. I thought this was going to be simple.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@JAN MOYER you seem to have found another view of my inspiration picture. Do you have a link for the rest of the home? I'd like to see it. Thank you!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

The single BEST thing you could do, is find an interior designer, independent, in your area. Buying a point and click sofa from the internet, fabric or leather upholstered, is not something I recommend.

You need guidance in pulling YOUR look together with a desired comfort level. I would say STOP with bulky reclining furniture. If you want a chair to recline? that's a good spot to add a soft leather.......the tone of a good watch strap. No big bulbous effect. Then? Fabric on sofa and no.....no cup holders and no on the recline.

You want to get your look and feel refined. Not with 2000 opinions here. You wouldn't do that if you were planning a vacation, or if you had a weird spot on your fanny.

Get help. Pro help. Local and in your space. It's the best money you can spend.. Buy less and a bit better. : ) Or........ Decorate in haste and repent at your leisure.

Real quality and comfort in seating is not ON the internet. It is sold through quality retail outlets and designers.

All good things take time. : )

Gina S thanked JAN MOYER
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, I agree, Jan. This is stressing me out. Since this condo is in Branson it makes sense to get the Pro there. So, I am going to look. Thank you everyone for your help.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I agree that a Pro in your area who understands your vision could be helpful.

I do think you have a better sense of your style now, though.

You started here with some bulky leather reclining pieces. And now you just posted this as an updated board. Except you say you’re not in love with the red here. I agree. I love red, but I think the sofa sort of has that covered. Don’t need so many red pillows.

This forum can be problematic. The crowd sourcing can often be more confusing than anything else. And EVERYBODY - “Pros” and non-Pros alike - has an opinion.

Go with what you like. I think you have a better sense of it all now.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

If you decide to paint the walls, you could do a white, but with the carpeting, I think a warmer white than White Dove. BM’s Ballet White, Swiss Coffee... You could sample those. I like BM’s Natura line.

• Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Just wanted to say, beautiful view - your so lucky - and good luck with furnishing your condo. Perhaps you could post some time in the future when it's all done. I'm sure we all will be

wondering what happened.

Gina S thanked Angel 18432
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

Don’t make any big purchases until you are 100% clear with your vision. It may be easy to return some stuff, but rugs, sofas, etc are harder. Order a 2x3 rug in the style you want to assess color in your home- easier to return or keep as doormat, etc.
    Whenever you are real-life or online shopping, always have good pics or samples of the pieces that have to stay (chairs, eg)

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @freedomplace1 @Angel 18432 and all the others that helped. I agree that I have a better sense of what I like. I am going to work with a Pro and I am excited about that. I can't do it for 4 weeks. It's a bummer that I will not have furniture for a while but I think I will get the outdoor furniture and beds for now. We can still sleep there. :) Maybe some bean bags. We can feel like teenagers again.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Gcubed. That is a great idea about the 2x3 rug. I have never done that before. Great tips!! <3 I'm scared to post it when I'm done, to be honest.

• Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I hate doing this. I wish I had more confidence but I need a 2nd opinion.

Just so we have one bed -- is this a safe bed?? The room with a view cannot have a bed longer than 7'. I like the side table too. My husband and I could use that room for now. I don't think there are a lot of choices for queen beds that are any shorter in total length than this one. That said, there aren't many coastal bedrooms on Houzz with black headboards. So, I guess "there is my sign". We could put a mattress on the ground. There would be less to paint around. So, see? There is a rainbow.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

If you are not loving it, why not get a platform base and put your mattress on it. You can always add a headboard down the road. No footboard so you get extra space. And I wouldn’t get a “set” of dressers, etc. depending on space and storage needs, you may want a small dresser as a nightstand. Don’t buy now and regret later. Have you laid out the floor plan in the bedroom?

Gina S thanked Gcubed
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love the bed. But, it might not work for a contemporary Scandinavian coastal farmhouse.

:) I'll wait. Great advice throughout this thread. I hope it helps others too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

You can put a matress and box springs on a Hollywood collapsible

frame from ANY City Mattress or similar or Amazon for a hundred bucks!

Chill on the whole thing until you get a pro in there⁉️‼️Please?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Almost NO king or queen bed/ headboard, rails and footboard is longer than 84"

Relax, move in. You do not need House Beautiful on day one

Gina S thanked JAN MOYER
  • Gina S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @JAN MOYER I really appreciate you!!