SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lukkirish

Trying to figure out full house standby generators.

Lukki Irish
3 years ago

I would like to have a standby generator installed next to my 1700 sf colonial. So far I’ve spoken with two companies. The first company quoted the job with a 13KW Generac. He said that would be sufficient and that our larger sized (3 ton) A/C would not be a problem. But he was only here for a few minutes, didn’t look at our panel in the basement, didn’t explain much about the process or the warranty and talked so fast that I had a hard time keeping up. I decided to get a 2nd quote, so this morning, I spoke to one company over the phone using the feedback from the first guy. He told me the 13KW unit would be the minimal he’d recommend because it would only provide about 11KW and in his opinion, that was kind of pushing it. He said that it depends on the panel we have, but that a 16KW would most likely be more appropriate. That’s for a ”whole” house installation that includes AC/Heat, a well pump, gas water heater, gas dryer and stove. There is about a $600 difference in price for the larger unit which is fine, if that really is the right call. This is something my husband would have understood and known what to do, but he passed away a couple of months ago and I’m out of my element trying to figure it out. Can someone please offer their thoughts? We don’t have power outages very often but with our Michigan winters, I’m looking for some peace of mind. Thanks!

Comments (21)