SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figuringitout

Understanding NPK fertilizers

figuringitout
3 years ago

Hi all, (I'm in Mass zone-5b)

I understand what the NPK stand for and their use by plants, but I'm wondering if there are default values for these when shopping for them. i.e. I see diff values for them for diff purposes (5,10,5 or 10,10,10 or 0,0,60 or 0,20,0).

I understand what they are providing, but is there a scale or list that the amounts run on or are there default amounts that you can get and where to look for them.

Here's why I'm asking.

I'm looking to be more specific with my fertilizing now and don't always want to be using a MG low balanced fertilizer, like a 5,5,5.

In particular, I'd like to start being better at feeding my heavy feeders, like pumpkin, squash, eggplant, melon, cucumbers, etc. at their different stages of growth.

I understand to have a bit more nitrogen on initial growth of plant,

then switch to more (P) value once flowers start developing,

then switch to more (K) value once the fruit start developing.

Generally, I would just use a default 5,10,5 MG type fertilizer, but I'd like to see if I'd get any better results by trying to go to the next levels to help the harvest.

Is there a book or web site that better explains the different values you can have and what product specifically to use to get them. Or what product should I be looking towards to target their diff growth stages. I'm up in the air with this at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Comments (8)