SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_yeshmcmaster

Solid Wood Cabinet door vs 5 Piece Cabinet Door

We are redoing the kitchen and will be selecting wood cabinets stained a natural color. We are hoping to use someone local to support our community and I've gotten numerous estimates. I have learned that quite a few of the local shops order their doors and drawers from outside vendors. Ones that are doing all the work in-house are using a CNC machine to cut their own doors.

One of the vendors who uses the CNC process cuts their wood doors out of a single piece of solid wood. Another vendor uses a similar process, however, he only cuts the frame out of a single piece of solid wood and he then uses a MDF panel to allow for expansion/contraction (a two-piece door).

Most of my research on wood cabinets talks about the traditional 5 piece door as being best quality. I can't find any info on how a solid one-piece door might hold up. I've seen the product and it looks pretty solid but I can't help but wonder how it will hold up over time with the heat and moisture in the kitchen. It seems like it would be more prone to warp.

WDYT? Thoughts? Comments?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida