SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njseventyfour

Tray vs. flat ceiling in Master Bedroom (vaulted an option too)

njseventyfour
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are adding on a master bedroom to our house. The question has been brought to me whether I would prefer a flat, tray, or vaulted ceiling.

The ceiling is 8' (bottom of tray would be 8' and top part would be 9'). If we go with a flat ceiling it would be 8' because of beams. I've pretty much ruled the vaulted ceiling out, but willing to hear thoughts. Room is 15'10" x 14"10'. There will be three windows.

This is something I never even considered (or knew about) until now. To be honest, I had never heard of a tray ceiling before now. My husband is pushing for the tray ceiling. He says that it leaves plenty of room for a ceiling fan and lets in more light.

I don't 100% love the look of it, and I feel as thought it might look dated? I also read a couple of accounts of ceiling fans not being as effective in tray ceilings.

I'm looking for experienced opinions on whether they are worth it? Are they dated? In style? Pros? Cons? What could this do for resale? (not looking to sell anytime soon, just asking out of curiosity)

Thanks!

Comments (59)