SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

master bedroom without freestanding furniture?

jiggreen
13 years ago

Here's the situation...I would love some input. As most of you know, I am presently decorating my sitting room and master bedroom, which are two separate rooms, but attached to each other. In order to get to the sleeping part of our room, you must go through the sitting room, so for all intents and purposes it functions as one room, yet still separate. Both rooms are fairly small, and NEITHER room has a closet. We currently have a large walk in closet in our bathroom for our hanging clothes and shoes, but the bathroom is not a "master bathroom", it is out in the hallway. In the bedroom I have a tall bureau, and I am using the matching piece in the sitting room. If I were to eliminate the tall dresser from the master bedroom (and put it in sitting room w/ it's matching friend), that would free up an entire wall and allow me to do a built in custom storage/closet system, with drawers, shelves and hanging storage. It would not be a walk in, it would be more like a surface closet, but not the type of surface closet that has a standard type door. Instead it would be more like floor to ceiling cabinetry with a nice finish. Of course this means I would lose the only substantial piece of furniture in the "sleeping part" of the bedroom....other than the bed itself and the one night table I am able to fit. My husband keeps talking about turning my sunporch (which opens off of the sleeping part of our room) into a large walk in closet, but that idea makes me sick! I want my sunporch to be a sunporch!!

I watch a lot of those House Hunter International shows and a great many of the houses shown have built ins similar to this in their master bedrooms, as opposed to freestanding furniture. I don't plan on moving for many years, but I do want to make sure that before I spend thousands of dollars on a wall of custom built in storage that it is not something that I would regret down the road.

I am just so tired of having to go to 3 different locations in this house to get dressed everyday or even put our laundry away. And when someone is using that bathroom, I have no access to my clothes in the closet in there! It would be nice to have the majority of our clothing/shoes/purses/etc...all in the bedroom itself.

Opinions? And maybe pictures?

Comments (15)